Drive space query

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dbar

On my disk it says i have used space of 8.5Gb. But when i add the individual files (windows, Program files, Documents & Settings etc)it only comes 4.9Gb.

Why is there a difference?.

Also i have recently formatted my drive, reloaded software and downloaded all service packs and updates etc from windows.

Before downloading all the windows updates my disk was using about 3Gb but after, it jumped to the 8.5Gb

can someone explain why this is? Are the service packs and updates so large? or are the updates duplicated on my system somehow?

Thanks

8.5 gig IMHO isn't bad considering the bloatware that windows is getting to.

Did you peform cleanup after it all installed I.E. clearing temp files and whatnot. Also you mentioned adding up folders but did you add up hidden files and things on the root like the page file?

You mention you not only installed service packs but also software and this can easily bump up HDD useage. I know things like office alone have large install footprints.

dbar

i have performed cleanup.
I have my folder view to show all hidden files, so i'm assuming i'm counting everything.

I have loaded some software such as Zone alarm, AVG etc but not too much. It is a pretty clean system so far.

It just seems strange that after downloading the service packs and updates for windows my disk used jumped about 4Gb

Do the updates leave unnecessary duplicate files? can i delete them?

Are you also including the System Volume Information directory? If System Restore is turned on, this can often take up a lot of space.

dbar

i'm not sure. How do i find out?

But as far as i know i have made no changes to anything after the service pack updates and it jumped 4Gb after that.

dbar

in the C:\Windows folder there are about 30 folders marked in blue and named $NtUninstallKB888113_o$ etc

Those are basically the left overs from the updates and can be removed. But typically they are only a few hundred megs. Leave the $hf_mig$ one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.