Drive Space ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

J.M.R.

I recently had a computer built that has 2 hard drives. One has 20G and the other has 6.5G . My question is: When I go to Programs, Accessories,System tools, Drive space and click on EITHER drive , it tells me I have 2G TOTAL ( 2G free and 0 used). The pie chart showas the same.
???? Is this not where I should be able to see how much free space I have ? If Not What am I doing wrong ?? Thanks,

I was promptly advised to go to My Computer , click on the desired drive , and selsct PROPERTIES from the File menu

Open my computer, select your drive and check your free space from there

drvspace is a disk compression utility, you don't want to use it

What operating system are you using? The original Windows 95 will show only up to 2GB per drive.

Disk compression sounds great until you have a problem, then it is almost unrepairable. Disk compression will also slow down your machine as everything has to be compressed and uncompressed when accessed.

You would be better served buying a larger hard drive.

See lots of problems relating to machines that won't boot using disk compression, not many get fix without a format and reinstall.

Another bad thing with Disk Compression is that once you compress it, uncompressing it may prove less than perfect. My computer repair instructor related Disk Compression to taking a loaf of bread and squishing it down. Sure you've made it smaller, but trying to make that loaf look just like the original is near impossible. Same thing with your files.

(ok, so manybe it sounded alot better when he said it) But anyway, getting a bigger or second hard drive is a much better alternitive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online