1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive Space ?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by J.M.R., Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. J.M.R.

J.M.R. Thread Starter

I recently had a computer built that has 2 hard drives. One has 20G and the other has 6.5G . My question is: When I go to Programs, Accessories,System tools, Drive space and click on EITHER drive , it tells me I have 2G TOTAL ( 2G free and 0 used). The pie chart showas the same.
    ???? Is this not where I should be able to see how much free space I have ? If Not What am I doing wrong ?? Thanks,

I was promptly advised to go to My Computer , click on the desired drive , and selsct PROPERTIES from the File menu

2. brianF

brianF

Open my computer, select your drive and check your free space from there

drvspace is a disk compression utility, you don't want to use it

3. Beffan

Beffan

What operating system are you using? The original Windows 95 will show only up to 2GB per drive.

4. stevedann

stevedann

So why is drivespace a bad idea ... ?

Discuss please!

5. brianF

brianF

Disk compression sounds great until you have a problem, then it is almost unrepairable. Disk compression will also slow down your machine as everything has to be compressed and uncompressed when accessed.

You would be better served buying a larger hard drive.

See lots of problems relating to machines that won't boot using disk compression, not many get fix without a format and reinstall.

6. Beffan

Beffan

Another bad thing with Disk Compression is that once you compress it, uncompressing it may prove less than perfect. My computer repair instructor related Disk Compression to taking a loaf of bread and squishing it down. Sure you've made it smaller, but trying to make that loaf look just like the original is near impossible. Same thing with your files.

(ok, so manybe it sounded alot better when he said it) But anyway, getting a bigger or second hard drive is a much better alternitive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice