1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive wipe and programs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JamesJD125, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesJD125

JamesJD125 Thread Starter

CCleaner offers a drive wiper.
    i was thinking of wiping my drive. but then i realised, i have programs which require authentication codes. and i wasn't sure how i would keep the programs on my computer, or at least reinstall them after without needing new codes?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    What is your reason for wanting to wipe the drive?

3. JamesJD125

i just got loads of programs and folders from programs that i don't have anymore, and it's just a bit clogged up
    and i've had virus' and i'm not sure if they're all gone.
    i've got all my stuff backed up, it's mainly music that i need, i'll just reinstall iTunes and Google chrome.
    thank you in advance.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    That is not a task for a drive wiper such as is offered by CCleaner.
    A drive wiper is used to completely overwrite files so that they cannot be recovered (undeleted). It is more a protection of privacy than anything else.
    You can wipe the Free Space of a drive so that all files that have in the past been deleted cannot be recovered. This will not remove any programs or files from your machine.
    You can wipe the entire drive, which will permanently erase all data and require you to reinstall Windows and all software. This is typically only required when you wish to sell or give away a computer and don't want the new owner to be able to access your personal information.

However if your aim is to reinstall Windows that will not necessitate wiping the drive at all and CCleaner won't help you. All you should need to reinstall windows is a Windows installation disk. With that in mind I'm looking into backing up product keys; I've seen something on the topic but can't remember where.

5. JamesJD125

i don't have the windows install discs.
    when i purchased the laptop it came with Windows Vista, but i got a free upgrade to 7.
    so i wasn't sure if i would have to reinstall Windows 7.
    is there no way of just wiping the drive clean of everything appart from the operating system, so it comes as it would from the factory.
    i would try finding out about a factory restore, but the factory restore would be Windows Vista.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

What Brand is the laptop? . . many come with a built in recovery partition, but even that would return the operating system to Vista ( pardon the language )

How did you ugpgrade to Win7? Do you have that disc?

7. JamesJD125

HP compaq CQ60-490SA
    i wouldn't mind reinstalling Windows 7. as long as the authentication still works.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

You might have to call MIcrosoft, but the authentication should be a snap since you are reinstalling on the same machine

9. JamesJD125

Well i just want to start all over again. would factory settings reset do this?

10. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Yes, a factory reset would certainly do that.
    The only thing that could still cause issues over a factory reset are hardware problems and comparison effects (basic psychology that your machine doesn't perform as well as the latest machines so it seems to have slowed down.) All the clutter and possible virus problems you report will be removed.

11. JamesJD125

okay thank you. how would i go about a factory Reset?

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

If your laptop has it, look for a prompt when you first press the power button

13. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  14. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I think it's Belarc Advisor that I saw recommended as being able to recover software licenses, but I'm not sure.

15. Old Rich

Old Rich

Belarc does a good job of reporting licenses as well as details of hardware

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice