1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

driver auto-re-install?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TRS-80 vet, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

Do drivers re-install themselves, for hardware that came with the pc?

Here's why I ask... Recently, I had a nic problem - intermediate drivers weren't loading for DSL connectivity. I uninstalled what NIC drivers were loaded, re-booted, and everything loaded properly. No 'new hardware found'; nothin'. Just total driver re-install, and problem gone.

Now, I'm havin' printer (that came with the pc) problems, after re-fillin' a cartridge. I'm tryin' to get everything lexmark out of the machine, to re-load the software. Some of the lexmark registry keys don't wanna' delete. And it's still showin' up in tasman processes. It seems like the printer programs are re-loadin' themselves.

Are drivers part of the bios, that they can re-install themselves?

2. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

Yup. At least in some cases. See attached.

If I delete the .dll file, to do a clean re-install from the lexmark disc, would I have a problem?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Drivers are not part of the BIOS. XP has drivers for some hardware, and it will automatically install some hardware.

I'd disconnect the printer, then try to uninstall it's drivers, finally do the clean re-install of the latest drivers. I'd check on the Lexmark site to see if your CD has the latest drivers too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice