1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DRiver.cab

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikeybaby, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeybaby

mikeybaby Thread Starter

Hi, well i just built my new computer and i was installing Windows XP on it and after it finished formating and it was putting on the files and what not about 18% of the way i got an error saying driver.cab not found then i had the option to continue or skip the file but im not sure what i should do? ANy help would be appreciated thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot skip files, and hope for a working installation.

Usually such messages result from either a dirty CD (fingerprints etc) or faulty RAM.

Nothing stresses RAM like an OS install, and that is when any problems show.

But clean the CD first.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try cleaning the disk.

That file is a large one containing many drivers, some that you will no doubt need before the installation finishes. Is it a normal XP CD? Have you tried finding the file on the CD in another machine?

But it won't hurt at this point to continue with the installation---you will probably not complete it, however. If another missing file error comes up, either you don't have a genuine CD, or it is damaged.

4. mikeybaby

mikeybaby Thread Starter

I cleaned the cd so many times beacuse that was my frist thing i though to try but it still didnt work and yes i found it on my other machine and about to 20second left to copy it to my desktop it failed. so could it just be the file?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try cleaning the drive, too, though if it is the same missing file every time, then that is not the problem.

6. mikeybaby

mikeybaby Thread Starter

in the beg of the install it was a differnt file modem. something and i cleand the disk and then it worked. but now i have been stuck or driver.cab and i cleaned the disk really well. and yes its a real xp disk i used it manytimes before.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, in that case, the number of possibilities is dwindling. If you can't clean the CD-ROM, try a different one. If it couldn't read another file, either, the CD-ROM is the most likely culprit (if the CD is easily read by other machines).

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you think the CD is the problem, try copying the contents on another computer.

If it works, then it is probably the CD ROM on your computer. Luckily these are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace.

9. mikeybaby

mikeybaby Thread Starter

I would just like to thank all of ur for all of your replies so far. But what do u mean copy the culfrits on to a nother cdrom? i tryed to copy just that one file to another CD but when i was copying it to my desktop and it had 20 seconds left it got an error and then i tryed other random .cab files and they worked fine. So im starting to think that it is just that one file? Would it be possible for me to just get that one file and burn it on to a cd, and after it reads it just put back in the windows XP disc?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It could be just one small nick on the CD that is causing all the trouble.

See if you can copy that driver.cab file from the CD to the desktop on another computer. If you can't, then probably the CD is damaged and will need to be replaced.

If you can copy it, it may just be that one CD-ROM is having trouble with that file. If that is the case, then make an exact duplicate of your XP CD on the machine that can successfully read the entire driver.cab file and then try installing XP with the copy on your problem machine. Choose a relatively low speed for burning the copy, like 4x or 8x (and use good CD-R's).

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I didn't say try copying the files to another CD ROM. I said try copying them on another computer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice