1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Corruption XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Airball, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Airball

Airball Thread Starter

It's unfortunate that my first post on these forms is to address a rather large problem I've encountered while re-installing different OS's. It's my hope that you guys can help me out. Don't let me down! ;)

Ok, here's the story. Despite all the vista nay-sayers, I decided to try it out anyway. I installed Vista Ultimate on my Compaq Presario sr1910nx. It worked relatively well, until one time I booted up - or at least, I tried. I was given the infinitely descriptive error message: "Missing Operating System". I decided that, well, Vista hadn't really met my expectations, so I popped my XP Home SP2 CD back in the drive, and went back.

The install went smoothly. I deleted existing partitions on my hard drive, and then installed XP to the resulting unpartitioned space. So, I welcomed my XP desktop with open arms.

It didn't do the same for me. XP fails to recognize most of my hardware, including but not limited to my network adapter and cd-rom drive. Needless to say, this has resulted in some serious issues; I cannot connect to the internet, because XP refuses to realize that I have a connection. I can't even re-install XP from a CD, because XP won't recognize that, either.

I tried mounting an XP .iso with Daemon tools. No dice, the installer wants a CD drive just as much as I do. So, I downloaded some driver identification tools to a USB drive from my laptop and ran them on my desktop. The problem? They need the internet to identify the hardware.

So now I'm lost. My desktop box is now incommunicado, and unable to reinstall the OS. This is where I need you guys to come in. I've checked the compaq website for the drivers, and they're not there; that, or I've missed something.

If anyone can help me on this one, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks a lot.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Upon just after doing a clean install of an operating system there is a special driver disk that should have come with the computer this special driver disk has all of the special drivers for the computer like the chipset driver, the buss driver - no not greyhound - and other drivers like audio, video etc.

When you start installing you install the chipset first then the buss and after that any order you want.

If you no longer have this driver disk the drivers can be downloaded from either the manufacturer of the motherboard or computer web site then burn to a cd-r disk and install.

THis should solve your problem.

3. Airball

Airball Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I don't have the cd that came with the computer. And I have checked the manufacturer's site, but they don't offer a direct download of a recovery disc. That would make things easy. They want me to order one instead.

So, short of that, any other recommendations?

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

does it come with a floppy drive? and whats the model number of your compaq?

5. Airball

Airball Thread Starter

No, no floppy drive.

So yeah, there's the model number.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I didnot say recovery disk I was talking about the special driver disk that came with the recovery disk set, these drivers are downloadable thru the manufacturers web site and are also downloadable thru the motherboard manufacturers web site. What is the make and model of your computer I will go take a look in the morning?

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

8. cgesicki

cgesicki

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

10. Airball

Airball Thread Starter

First off, thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far, I appreciate it very much.

Yes, I've been to all of those web pages, and tried the lan drivers. Right now, I'll go through them one by one, and get back to you guys.

Thanks.

11. Airball

Airball Thread Starter

Ok, I've gone back to the desktop and tried instaling all those drivers on the manufacturer's page. The keyboard/mouse drivers required that I have .Net framework 1.1. I got that from the MS site, and installed it on the desktop. The driver then installed fine, but after a reboot there's still no CD drive.

The lan drivers will not install from the exe; I have to install it from the device manager instead. I click on the "PCI Simple communications Controller" and try to update the driver there. However, I can't seem to actually pull off an install.

12. cgesicki

cgesicki

13. Airball

Airball Thread Starter

Thanks for the program. However, it doesn't seem to be of much use, but that could be because I'm missing something.

Any recommendations?

14. cgesicki

cgesicki

15. Airball

Airball Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice