1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

driver download

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kenaispal, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenaispal

kenaispal Thread Starter

hello,

I have a Dell Latitude D620 with Windows XP Service Pack 3 operating system. I'm trying to download a usb driver to operate an electronic fuel injection system. The system came with an installation CD which allows me to install all but the usb driver. The new hardware install wizard comes on but when I try to proceed I get a message that the software cannot be found. I contacted the company that manufactures the fuel injection system and they sent a usb driver link for me to download. Tried that but still get the same error message. I have a Belkin wireless usb adapter attached to the laptop and it works fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. raybro

raybro

Don't really understand how this whole thing is hooked up but, if you are able to do so, you might try a direct hookup to the laptop USB port and bypass the hub. I've seen more than once where a USB hub can cause this kind of anomaly.

3. kenaispal

kenaispal Thread Starter

Hello Raybro,

Thanks for the response. The engine control unit for the fuel injection system is connected directly to the laptop with a usb cable. When I try to connect to the engine control unit I get a message that the software, which I assume they mean a usb driver, cannot be found.

4. raybro

raybro

How does the Belkin wireless USB adapter play into this hookup?

5. kenaispal

kenaispal Thread Starter

The Belkin adapter allows me to have internet access, if needed, when i have my laptop connected to the engine control unit in my car. I assumed since the adapter was connected to a laptop usb port and functioned properly, that I shouldn't be having problems using another usb port to connect the engine control unit

6. raybro

raybro

Your assumptions seem valid. Do you have any other way to connect to the internet. For instance, Ethernet. If so you might try downloading the driver hardwired instead of wireless. I think its unlikely to make a difference, but whats to lose?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice