1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver for External monitor wont display top resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tamandua, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tamandua

tamandua Thread Starter

Hi
    I am using Vista for business (32-bit) on a new Dell Latitude E4300 laptop. I want to use a new external monitor (Dell S2209W) with it.

The external monitor is connected and works, but I cannot get it to display at its proper top resolution of 1920 x 1080.

When I check the displays in the laptop's device manager, both the laptop and the external monitor are given as Generic pnp. Attempts to update the drivers meet with the response that they are up-to-date.When I try to change the display from the desktop, the resolution options do not go high enough for the external monitor.

The laptop display works fine; what I need is for the external monitor to work at the high resolution.
    Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks

2. qq2269

qq2269

tamandua, here are some ideas you can try:

I know you already tried to update the drivers and Windows didn't find any newer drivers but I would go to Dell's website and find out what the newest driver for the monitor is and just make sure that that version is the one you are using. That is because I honestly don't know how reliable Windows is at updating the drivers using the method you mentioned.

If you are in fact using the latest and greatest drivers for your monitor, I would check the maximum resolution supported by your graphics card in your laptop.

Is this a dual monitor setup where you are using the laptops display and the external monitor at the same time? If so, keep in mind that the combined resolution of both monitors has to be within the limits of your graphics card. If that is a problem, disable your laptop display while you are using your external monitor (not sure if you are already doing this or not).

Hope it helps!

3. tamandua

tamandua Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks. That helps me further. Yes, this is a dual monitor setup where I am using the laptops display and the external monitor at the same time.

I found a specific reference (non-transmission of EDID data may be the problem) on the Intel site and a driver to download for the appropriate resolution. This is at
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?strState=LIVE&DwnldID=17535

However the driver installation said it was incompatible with my computer.
    My Mobile Intel (R) 4 series Express Chipset drivers don't seem to recognise the resolution. I will investigate further.

Using Device Manager I have been able to use the external monitor's installation disk to update the corresponding Generic PnP Monitor label to show as Dell
    S2209W.

Thanks for the help

4. qq2269

qq2269

tamandua,

To unzip the driver, right click on it and then click Extract and select a location where you want the unzipped driver to be.

Go into Control Panel and open Device Manager. Locate the Intel Chipset you want to update and double click on it. Then click on the Driver tab and select Update driver. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and then browse to the new driver. Then click next and proceed to update the driver. You do not need to uninstall the previous driver. If you encounter problems with the operations of this new driver you can rollback to the previous driver that you were using.

I hope this works for you!

5. tamandua

tamandua Thread Starter

Many thanks. Appreciate your help. TechGuy is a great forum.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice