1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver-Graphic Card Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by james7811, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james7811

james7811 Thread Starter

Ok hi guys, have you ever tried to install a graphics driver and you just had one question,
    can i install a nvidia graphics driver over an AMD graphics driver?
    that means that i have an AMD game driver but its not that good when running games like minecraft and other games
    so i decided to actually update or upgrade my gaming driver, now my question is can i actually install a nvidia graphics driver
    whilei have AMD graphics driver installed already, please answer as soon as you see this post if you know the answer and please be sure of your answer(not just yes or no, guessing style) ok so bye guys and ill see the first answer. ;) :D (y)

2. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Drivers are coded to allow your computer to communicate with a specific video card. Each video card is different, so each video card needs it's own driver.

So no, you cannot use a nvidia driver for AMD.

For the most part, the driver is not what determines how well a game runs. The graphics card is the one that's actually doing the drawing. So if Minecraft doesn't run well it's usually not a driver (software) problem, but it's simply because your graphics hardware is physically not up to the task.

3. james7811

james7811 Thread Starter

so you mean that if my video card actually uses AMD graphics card as default, i cant actually let it use Nvidia by installing Nvidia Graphics driver????

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Doesn't AMD own ATI Radeon now?
    they are not the same company as nVidia.

As PcPhoenix pointed out, the driver is meant for a specific card. Only way to upgrade your graphics is to change video cards. The drivers just tell windows how it all works and what to do with the card.

The AMD site has an auto detect tool, it should find your graphics and give you the right driver.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

And as stated, game performance may depend on what you have in your machine.(hardware) Not so much on drivers, as long as they are the right ones.

5. james7811

james7811 Thread Starter

ok never mined i get it now -thanks for all your help guys

6. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Your question is a a bit like asking "Can i use the keys from my Toyota to unlock a Honda?"

No you can't. But not because one is a Toyota and the other is a Honda. But because they're different cars.

Each graphics card needs it's own driver. It doesn't matter whether it's nVidia or AMD/ATI.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    On top of everything that has been mentioned, it may not even be your graphics card at all that is the problem, especially for something like Minecraft. MInecraft is far more processor intensive than it is graphically intensive, so it is more reliant on the power of the processor to perform well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice