1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Headache

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scorpio803, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scorpio803

scorpio803 Thread Starter

Hi, i'm new here, and am having some driver issues. I recently got a new hard drive, and freshly installed windows xp onto it. However, i can't get the sound to work (through headphones, or speakers) , and after performing a test in my dxdiag, it says that i have no direct3d support either. Here are my specs, which are also listed in my profile:

Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050329-1536)
    English (Regional Setting: English)
    Dell Inc.
    system model: Dell DXP051
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Page File: 336MB used, 2122MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

In device manager these drivers are listed as missing:
    -PCI Device
    -SM Bus Controller
    -Video Controller
    -Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I have two CD's which are labled "DRIVERS AND USER DOCUMENTATION" and "DRIVERS AND UTILITIES" but in the first all i could find was info about my monitor, in SEVERAL lanuages, and in the latter, i managed to hook up my printer, but i didn't find anything else. I have looked up these drivers and they seem to be related to the sound and video failures but i don't know where to begin. I'm some-what new to this, and i would really appreciate the help. Thankyou.

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

You need to install the sound card drivers. Go to the Dell website, enter your service tag, and you'll find the correct driver.

3. scorpio803

scorpio803 Thread Starter

well, that was easier than expected, thanks!

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

You're welcome. You can mark the thread solved at the top.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice