1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Heaven Tune XP 1·5 to speed up your computer's performance.

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by RAM-PAGE, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned Thread Starter

Memory and File System

The Memory and File System category is clearly the biggest category of them all.

In this category, you will find reccomendations that alter the very way in which Windows XP works with memory.

ACCELERATE DLL UNLOADING Recommended for benchmarking.

This affects the swiftness of Windows to unload cached DLLs from the main memory. It makes sure that no DLL will clog up the RAM by uncaching them quicker. Might be a performance gain in benchmarks, but might slow down general Windows usage by a small amount.

CLEAR PAGEFILE ON SHUTDOWN No recommendation.

This makes Windows clear the pagefile on shutdown. It will make shutdown slower, but might make bootup and paging
    a bit faster. (marginally)

DISABLE PAGING EXECUTIVE 512MB RAM, or more, required.

This removes the pool of system files that Windows will force to be paged. Instead, they will be loaded into the
    RAM. It will use a bit of memory, but will make Windows quicker and more responsive.

FASTER SHUTDOWN Recommended for everyone.

This alters the speed of Windows application/service shutdown times from 20 seconds to 1, and will make
    Windows shutdown around 5 times quicker.

FILE ALLOCATION SIZE TWEAK Recommended for everyone.

This alters the size of the memory file allocation size. The effect is not drastic, but most people see a
    (slight) improvement in general responsivity.

OPTIMIZE PREFETCH Recommended for everyone.

This optimizes the way in which the Windows prefetcher works. The prefetcher allocates short bits of applications and
    DLL's and speeds up the process of application loading (especially larger applications) by doing so.

INCREASE NTFS PERFORMANCE Recommended for NTFS users.

This removes the "Last Access Stamp" from all files. This improves general disk performance by removing
    massive bandwidth overhead.

IO PAGE LOCK LIMIT Recommended for everyone.

This alters the size of the IO paging area in memory. The larger RAM amount you have, the higher a limit
    you can set. Improves general performance, especially when loading larger applications.

CLEAR PREFETCH FOLDER Recommended for everyone.

This cleans out the folder with all the prefetches Windows has allocated. This is recommended to be done
    every now and then (for instance, every week) to improve general Windows performance.

(NOTE: In version 1.5, this tweak has been bug fixed.)

DEFRAG BOOT FILES Recommended for everyone.

This function quickly assembles the bootfiles and stacks them together. Speeds up boot performance.

DISABLE ZIP FOLDERS Recommended for people with a 3rd party archiving tool.

This function uninstalls the builtin ZIP capability of Windows. This frees up resources, but if you want to open
    ZIP-files afterwards, you will need a 3rd party application, like WinZip or WinRAR.

ULTRA-FAST BOOTING Recommended for everyone.

This is a multi-stage tweak. First, it moves the bootfile to the edge of the drive, after which it defrags the
    system drive. Can reduce Windows boot time substantially, sometimes more than 300%

Hardware

CD-BURNING Recommended if you need it.

This tweak enables/disables the builtin CD burning capabilities of Windows.
    If you have a 3rd party CD writing tool, you can turn it off to save resources

ENABLE UDMA-66 Recommended for most people.

Enables UltraDMA-66 on Intel chipsets. Recommended for people with ATA-66/UDMA-66 or higher compatible IDE controller
    chipsets

INCREASE CPU PRIORITY Recommended for benchmarking.

Changes the way Windows works with CPU resources. Increases performance for the primary application, and slightly neglects background services. Useful for benchmarking

INCREASE USB POLLING INTERVAL Recommended for mobile users/benchmarking.

Changes the latency of USB polling from 1ms to 5ms. Usable for some mobile users, as polling uses a fair slice of CPU performance. Hence, the CPU might not be able to enter a power-saving state. Likewise, it might be usable for benchmarkers because of a slightly reduced CPU load.

SPEED-UP WINDOWS IRQ HANDLING Recommended for everyone.

This optimizes the way Windows deals with the system bus IRQ, and in turn, makes the whole lot run quicker.

Internet

IP SETTINGS Recommended for everyone.

This small tool lets you view, release and renew your IP adress(es).

INCREASE DNS CACHE Recommended for everyone.

This increases the size of the Windows DNS cache, and will make access to websites or other network locations
    with DNS faster

FAST USER SWITCH

This is a service, which allows for several users to be logged on at the same time, so the user switching process
    can be speeded up. This service, however, uses a fair bit of RAM and CPU cycles. If you want performance,
    you should turn it off.

MESSENGER

The messenger service (Not Windows/MSN Messenger) is the ill-rumoured net send service. If disabled, you won't
    see any annoying popups.

THEMES

This service handles all Windows graphic layout themes. If it is disabled, resources and CPU will be freed up,
    but Windows will be more "classic" (ugly say some) to look at.

Miscellaneous

CHECK DISK

This well-known tool checks the disk for errors. EDIT (Only runs without any switches.)

DEFRAGMENT

Another well-known tool, with a small GUI client.

SYSTEM FILE CHECKER

Starts the Windows System File CHecker Checks to see if the syetm files are valid.

WINDOWS UPDATE

Launches Windows Update in Internet Explorer, if it is set as your default Browser.

Well I have tried it and like it. So it would be nice to see what you think of this Freeware product, provided freely due to somebodys careful work and unselfish generosity.

Very nice, and easy to use! (y)

Thank you. :)

Home page. Driver Heaven Tune XP 1·5

2. RAM-PAGE

Just thought to add this little tip in here.

In IE, Tools, IE Options, Advanced, & under "Navigation" Uncheck:

"Activate install on demand" [Other] , and, "Activate install on demand" [Internet Explorer]

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Hopefully we aren't just switching advertising for Diskeeper 9 to this new program? Seems like a lot of your posts have changed to recommending the previous program to the new one.

Problem is that the suggestions for solutions have tended be extremely generalized this way.

For example, previously you generally suggested to pad the MFT and Defrag to fix all kinds of unrelated problems. Now it seems you are doing this same with the new program.

While it is convenient to offer a solution by pointing to the same single link, it usually takes a bit more depth in understanding and time to really resolve it.

4. RAM-PAGE

I like people to understand the basics first of all. This is a free program as you can see.

Personally I think the the world was a better place without computers.

After good preparation, preventative maintenance and tuning, comes fault finding.

I have found, during thirty eight years of engineering, and fifteen years of using computers, that if you look after the first three on a regular basis you have far less trouble.

Generally, computers are the least important thing in my life, as they are so very easy to work with, providing that they come equipped with enough RAM to cover all eventualities.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

"Whitphil", "I'm not going to try it, you try it."

"Bob Cerelli", I'm not going to try it"

"Whitphil" "Lets get Skivvy he'll try it, he'll try anything"

:p :p

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

And don't look at me either, my comp ain't broke :D

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Skivvywaver,

Not going to try it either.

Over the years there have been so many of these little utility programs that claim to make these changes that will then greatly enhance your computer's performance. Never really found anything that made any dramatic changes.

This is just one more. Can't hurt but no big deal either. Most of the information for all this has been around for years.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Stoner,

Awe come on....no guts no glory... or is it gory ;-)

9. RAM-PAGE

Every time I check another of these tuning tabs it gets just a little bit better. Have to re-boot and then try it out for a while.

Each tab produces a nearly imperceptible increase in performance, but the overall result seems to be that it is actually producing a perceptible improvement.

Quick and easy to do it will probably give most people what they are looking for. Then they can just get on with using their computer instead of twiddling with it like a bunch of fidgits. ;)

Not as good as tuning the old BMW used to be. Got the speed up from 155 to 164 mph just by changing the engine management chip.

Accelleration (y) fuel economy (n)

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Rampage,

Given that you are extremely concerned with performance, and that this information has been around for several years, it is curious why it has it taken you so long to try these basic steps to help increase performance. You can't have been relying on just defragging all this time.

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ROFL ROFLMAO ROFLAHMS ROFLGO

12. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

I've been playing with Tune XP 1•5 for the past hour. It's user friendly for one. The utilities use DOS. Heck, I can go on and on with this program! And has a nice look/face to it. And it's free. Pretty clever program. Thanks Rampage :)

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.

13. RAM-PAGE

Thank you.

14. Big-K

Big-K

Am I weird because I'm satisfied with my computers performance?

15. bkpeck

bkpeck

I tried some of these and like them....but if you set it to boot faster the boot files are moved and Perfect Disk moves them back to where they were!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice