1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

driver install problem, Help ASAP please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PritomD, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

hi, im trying to install catalyst drivers for my ati radeon 9800, and when i try it, i get an error saying a file, infsys.exe cant be opened. wha?! help! Thanks!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) Try to redownload. It could be corrupt

2) Run a free online virus scan

It sounds like you may be infected if you have problems opening executables.

3) Could also be a problem with your motherboard drivers...for example if you have a Via chipset make sure your 4in1 drivers are up to date.

3. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

eh i just built this comp actually, so ill just start over fresh again, how can i wipe my hd?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

If you just built it...did you update/install your mobo drivers?

5. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

yea, i did those before my vga drivers anywys. i had catalys 4.7's for my vga, and it was running ok, i thot i could get 4.9 betas, but they dont have it for winme, so as i was trying to install someting went wrong. i dont mind redoing everything, so how can i start clean again (minus partitioning and formatting)? thx

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

You are using WinME you said?

Ok...if you want to wipe and start over, the best way is a reformat.

The second best option is to boot from the windows ME disk and let it reinstall over itself.

The last option is to boot into windows and then run setup while windows is running. It will rewrite system files but keep all your settings. I don't recommend it as it will probably keep your screwed up driver settings.

I personally recommend reformating if thats the way you want to go.

You might try just uninstalling the drivers if you can get into safe mode.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice