Driver installation confusion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

igotanewpc

I have msi b550 gaming edge wifi motherboard & gigabyte geforce rtx 3070, On the motherboard website it has VGA Driver for AMD Radeon but I have NVIDIA GPU, and already downloaded the nvidia drivers, do i need to download the vga driver from my motherboard manufacturer website, why is it different??

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If your computer has a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card which is connected to its monitor, that's the driver you want to install.
The last time I checked, the most current driver version is 471.11.

Load the Device Manager window and then expand the Display Adapters heading.
What is the name of the graphics device(s) listed there?

-------------------------------------------------

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

The motherboard apparently has onboard video capability. That would be the video driver available on their web site. If you have a another GPU installed, you really only need the drivers for that board. You will not be using the onboard. The motherboard mfr. has no idea what card you may install, therefore will not have drivers for anything else.

Fireflycph

Morten
The driver on their site is for the on-board, or integrated, if you will, AMD graphics. I assume that your Nvidia GPU is an add-on card.

So, if the AMD appears in the device manager, you should download and install the driver. Although I doubt that not doing so will cause any issues.

crjdriver

The port is there to support the onchip video that is part of the APU series of processors. I would assume you are running a ryzen rather than an APU processor.

Install your chipset/motherboard driver first. After that is installed, you then install the rest ie lan, nvidia video, etc. Most of the time windows will have a generic lan driver and windows update will even install a nvidia driver. Do understand that windows drivers are NOT designed for any type of performance; they are made for stability. It is much better [performance wise] to install the mfg's drivers rather than run the native windows drivers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online