1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 063319, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 063319

063319 Thread Starter

I just got a new computer(second hand so it doesn't have a manual and all that) and I have a widescreen monitor with it. It was working fine but after I was messing around looking it up, I somehow deleted the driver.

There were 2 drivers or whatever I remember and now on the Add or Remove programs place, there is only one left, which says: Intel[R] Pro Adapter and Drivers. Now when I go to change the resolution, there is no resolution for widescreen so it stretches.

A friend tells me that I need to install the driver(Intel(R)) because thats what my graphics card is for so I downloaded a driver(Intel[R] Graphics Media Accelerator) from the Intel website but when I go to install it, after the accept and decline part it has an error and says "one or more files that are required for installation are either missing or corrupt. Setup will exit".

What files am I missing? or is it that I just downloaded the wrong driver? If so, how do I know which driver to download and install?

The computer is Windows XP.

P.S. When I try to install Windows Media Player 11, it says that there is an error and that no updates were found. is this related in any way? Note I copied the setup onto the computer from a different one, it was downloaded directly onto the computer.

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hey,

You would be better off downloading WMP11 from Microsoft, to ensure it will work (or should). Download Everest Home Edition and then report back what motherboard you have, once installing this program it will output all relevant computer specifications, just paste them here.

3. 063319

063319 Thread Starter

After going to update driver in the driver window after going to Device Manager, I was able to install Intel[R] 82810 Graphics Controller but it won't work, it says "This device cannot start.(Code 10)" when I check on it on Device Manager. Device manager says its there but add or remove programs doesn't

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Did you update the driver from the internet or a specified folder/file you chose? Also, do the above if possible.

5. 063319

063319 Thread Starter

Do you mean making a report on everest? if so, is there any specific part i should copy onto this thread because it has about 100,000 characters and i can only post 3000 characters per topic.

I updated the driver from speciific folder/file.

6. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Yeah, paste the information that relates to your motherboard please. Try uninstall the drivers again via device manager and re-install the drivers from safe mode, also, are the drivers you are trying to install 100% the correct one?

Nick.

7. 063319

063319 Thread Starter

Motherboard

Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID 63-0100-000001-00101111-062403-iSPGDL_G$BF865001_BIOS DATE: 06/24/03 18:12:36 VER: 08.00.09
    Motherboard Name Intel La Crosse D865GLC

Front Side Bus Properties:
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
    Bus Type DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 267 MHz
    Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
    Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
    Bus Width 8-bit
    Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 267 MHz
    Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1
    Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
    RAM Slots 4 DIMM
    Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
    Motherboard Chipset i865G

Motherboard Manufacturer:
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/index.htm
    BIOS Download http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/genbios.htm

This is just the motherboard section, do I need to paste the whole report?

8. 063319

063319 Thread Starter

Do I need the cd(1 don't have the cd) to reinstall or do I use the one I downloaded? When I checked the chipset on device Manager, it said it was Intel[R] 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P. When I read the read me for the downlaod, it said it works on 865G.

9. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

10. 063319

063319 Thread Starter

I just downloaded Extreme Graphics 2 because i just found out that that is what I deleted and the screen movement is smooth now without the skipping when you scroll down and there are more resolutions but it still doesn't have the 1440x900 resolution I had before, the icon of it also looks different, maybe I had a different version. I'll try the download from the link from Thaddeus, hopefully it will work.

11. 063319

063319 Thread Starter

It works now, I've got the 1440x900 resolution back, thanks for all the help guys!

12. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

No problem, glad it's all sorted!

13. Comtec

Comtec

I recently uninstalled my Sound Device, and now every time I go to play music on Windows Media Player this error pops up:
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

Can someone help please, as at the moment I am unable to get sound:confused:

14. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Comtec, please copy and paste the above in to a new thread - i will help you there. When doing so, include your motherboard manufacturer and model, this will help us to help you a lot faster and efficiently.

Nick.

15. Comtec

Comtec

I have already got a new Thread, it is up and running called 'Sound Device problem'

PS

how do I find the motherboard manufacturer and model

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice