1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver IRQL not less or equal - blue screen - oh dear!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Friskybits, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Friskybits

Friskybits Thread Starter

I kept getting stop messages with a blue screen on my old hard drive and figured the drive had died (even tho it's only 8 months old). I got a new hard drive, put it in and now, I just got a blue screen with DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error message. Uh-oh. What does this mean?? I booted up again and the error message didn't appear but I got these (which I think are new): IDUServ.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows and an identical one for iptray.exe. Before the IRQL error, btw, my modem (dial-up) wasn't working after I put in the new drive and I noticed exclamation points by my PCI devices on Device Manager--also, the USB controller thing had an exclamation point by it, although all my USB-run gadgets seem to run just fine. Does this mean my PCI slots aren't working and that's why my modem isn't working? I'm running Win2000. It's an Intel Pentium 4 631 3.00GHz HT EM64T XD, 800MHz, FSB, 2MB motherboard. I have no support for this computer, so have to fix it myself. Computer was running fine until the mysterious blue screen shenanigans began. Please someone help if you can. Thank you in advance for any advice. Jeanie

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

3. Friskybits

Thanks for the link but as I said, I can't get that computer online cuz the modem won't work. :( I'm using my old computer right now.

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

IDUServ.exe and iptray.exe are utilities for Intel.
    If they are reporting as errors, perhaps you should try re-install of motherboard drivers

5. Friskybits

Okay I'll do that - just tell me how. If there's a link I can go to (on this computer) I can maybe download the drivers onto my memory stick and then put them into my computer that's having the trouble. Also, I have an account at a website called driveragent.com and they probably have the drivers if you can tell me which ones to get? How did those drivers "undo" themselves in the first place, I wonder?! Thank you so much for helping me. :)

6. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

The drivers for your motherboard/computer will be on a disk you got with your machine. You should just have to put the disk in and reinstakll the drivers from the disk.

By the way, the irq not equal message is one of the most difficult to identify as it can be caused by so many things. Re-installing the motherboard drivers is suggested by the error messages you are getting but that may not be the cure.:rolleyes:

7. Friskybits

I'm not sure how much faith I have in the company I bought this computer from. I bought it online from a place called pcprodirect.com where you pick your components, they put it together for you and ship it. They gave me one CD that's called Intel Express Installer CD. Here's the list of things on it: Intel Desktop Utilities; Norton Internet Security; NTI CD Maker; Musicmatch Jukebox; Sonic Focus; InterVideo Home Theater; Farstone Restore It Lite; Software Drivers for Audio and Optional LAN; Desktop Board Product Guide and Warranty Information. I've installed whatever I can from that CD--although I think the audio driver would not install, if I recall but the audio seems to work fine as long as I can get past that blue screen. The IRQL blue screen is only intermittent, by the way. When I'm not blocked getting in by that blue screen, my main problem is that I can't get online because the modem doesn't work. I think the modem doesn't work because the PCI slot it's in is not working--I have exclamation points next to the PCI devices on Device Manager. Are there drivers for PCI slots? Ohh this is confusing, I realize. If only I could get online with that computer, I could get to all the websites I need to help me with the drivers and to run tests on pcpitstop and such so that's why I consider getting online so important. Thank you so much for all your help! Jeanie

8. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

If I may interpret from your post it seems you feel overwhelmed by your difficulties. But computers are built on logic and so there is no such thing as an insoluble problem with computers. That doesn't mean it is easy. however.

There are not 'drivers' for PCI slots but 'controllers' within the BIOS. If you believe that the computer may be failing to operate the PCI bus correctly, simply open the BIOS and select the default settings. It wouls be a good idea to do that in any case because if your problem disappears on the default setting of the BIOS, you know that the bios settings need to be changed .

If that does not solve your difficulty, move on to a minimum hardware test.

9. Friskybits

Thanks so much for this advice. I will try the BIOS thing tonight and hopefully, that will solve the problem. I'll let you know what happens. :) Thanks again!

10. Friskybits

I tried the BIOS approach but everything looks fine--just in case, I set everything to default. PCI Configuration says Slots 1, 2, 3 and 4 are set to Auto. The PCI Express Configuration says: PCIE x16 Link Retrain (Disabled); Link Stability Algorithm (Enabled); Compliance Test Pattern (Disabled). You know what tho?--this is a sort of new development because I have not seen that IRQL blue screen again since it first happened but my main problem now is getting those exclamation points off the PCI devices so I can get my modem to work. I think it might be a Service Pack 4 problem. I've ordered the CD from Microsoft so I hope that will solve this problem. Whenever my computer boots up now, it sees new hardware (the modem maybe?) and then tries to install a "PCI Device" but then nothing happens. The Found New Hardware Wizard then pops up but can't find the needed driver. Does that sound like an SP4 issue? I'm at a loss as to what else it could be...

11. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

A pci device may simply be something in a pci slot the computer doesn't recognize, If you have problems with a modem, could that be the problem device?

If so, remove the modem card and see what messages you get on reboot

It may be simply that your machine is not finding the modem drivers

12. Friskybits

Yes, at first I thought I had PCI device exclamation marks because of the modem but I've installed and reinstalled it so many times, I can't tell you. Whether the modem card is in the slot or not, I still have exclamation points. I got the Win2000 SP4 CD in the mail and installed that last night--no change. I uninstalled the modem driver, took out the modem card, put the driver back in, put the modem card back in --no change. Somebody told me to take the ethernet card out of it's slot and swap it with the modem. I went thru the whole (uninstall/reinstall driver) process and swapped the cards and there's still no change. Then, this morning, I can't even get in. It spontaneously went into a "disk check" and then restarted. On boot-up, I got this screen: Win2000 could not start. It says this file is either missing or corrupt: <windows2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe It tells me to reinstall a copy of the above file. The problem is--if that file is on the Win2000 CD, the computer will not budge from that black screen to let me reinstall. This is getting worse and worse. :(

13. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Try taking out everything except the video card and see if that gives a clean boot.

The attached doc describes how-to restore an XP registry from the command prompt. I don't know if it can be used for 2000.

14. Friskybits

I don't see an attached doc.... ?

15. Friskybits

I guess I don't need that document now because you're not going to believe this but....just on a lark, I reattached my old hard drive and booted up. Noooo problems! The modem installed automatically and everythings humming along! Not that I trust it, but..... I've got my fingers crossed! Spooky, huh? lol Anyway, I did want to say thank you sooo much for all your replies--you were the only one who tried to help me. :) Thanks very much, daddyhominum--you're a sweetheart. x

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice