1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by APARICIO760, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. APARICIO760

APARICIO760 Thread Starter

I just did a clean install with windows xp home edition. I went to device manager and notice that the ethernet controller and multimedia controller and multimedia video controller and smbus controller pci comunication controller and pci controller can any one help me solved this issue?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Fix the ethernet controller problem first and the others can be done almost automatically once your sysrtem can get online. Right click the Network Adapter in Device Manager and click on the Details tab. Note the four characters which follow VEN and the four after DEV then on a working system, go to http://www.pcidatabase.com. Enter the DEV characters in the box for Device and hit Enter. In the list that follows, only one will have those four VEN characters in the Vendor column and that should tell you where to look for the right driver.

Once you're connected, beware of driver sites which offer to scan your system - they may leave more problems than you have now,. Let Windows search for the other drivers.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You list yourself as a "Beginner", so I don't know how computer-savvy you are.

If you have trouble following Saga Lout's instructions, double-click all the entries with a question mark to open their properties window, then click "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Id".

Write down the characters that follow VEN_ and DEV_, then submit them here. Be careful not to make any typos.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You didn't mention the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer and if it came with Windows XP pre-installed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. APARICIO760

Im listed as a bigginer but i do know alot about computers just not to confident about it.

My pc is a hp compact d220 mt

ive gone to the driver detail and says no driver file are requiered or have been loaded for this driver.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you provide the vendor codes and driver codes that were requested, we can assist you with identifying the devices and finding the drivers.

If that computer is a HP/Compaq model, it'll have a product number on the sticker. Advise what it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. APARICIO760

hp compaq d220 mt
    s/n: mxd50308wv
    p/n: pn926a#aba

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that product number, you computer is a HP Compaq d220 Microtower desktop.

Here is the driver download section for Windows XP Home Edition.

Most of the drivers there are quite outdated, so you might want to obtain more current drivers once you're up and running.

If you install and run the driver update utility at the Intel site, that'll help you.

-----------------------------------------------------

8. APARICIO760

how do i download that utility to try it out in the computer that doesnt have internet connection?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're going to need to download and save the drivers in a working computer, then burn them off to a CD-R or copy them to a USB thumb drive, then use that media to install the drivers in the non-working computer.

Install the network adapter driver first so you can get the connection working and get on-line.

Once that's done, you can go to the Intel site.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. APARICIO760

it says media disconnected

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If that refers to the network connetion after you installed the driver, does the adapter still show in Device Manager with a yellow mark beside it? Is the cable from the adapter to your router known to have worked before?

12. APARICIO760

its not in the device manager and i installed a tp-link usb internet card to get wireless internet to my desktop

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Sounds like it isn't enabled in the BIOS settings. Restart and tap Delete or whichever Function key the screen says you need for BIOS or Setup and find the network or ethernet adapter and change the setting to Enabled. Save the changes and leave the BIOS pages and the system will restart again - this time you should see a Found New Hardware message and if you're connected to the Net, you'll probably find the right driver online automatically.

14. APARICIO760

I did what you said but i didnt see the option when i try fixing the connection it says repair operation failed renewing the ip adress

15. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

OK - now I'm confused. It isn't in Device Manager but it fails to make a connection?

Are you sure that message doesn't refer to the wireless dongle's connection? Are you able to get on the Internet now using that computer?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice