1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Loop when playing Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Snoman_021, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoman_021

Snoman_021 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am currently running my system using a Leadtek NVIDIA Quadro4 980XGL Graphics Card, which had been working fine for games and CAD until recently when i tried to run a game. The symptoms are very similar in every game i try to run(HALO, CS:S, HL2, DOOM3, FEAR). A few mintues after opening a level, it will begin to freeze, for 30 seconds or more, and then continue working for a few mintues and then freeze for another minute or so, and then polygons and maps within the 3d world go absoloutley crazy, charcters will suddenly start to glow, stair cases will grow infinitely and then shrink to the size of matchboxes. If i look in a certain direction, the screen will fill with strange 3d boxes. My gun will suddenly become exactly the same colour and texture as a nearby cliff and the cliff will suddenly grow a scope and start shooting people!

This, coupled with the freezing makes for a very confusing and unpleasant experience. The computer will then freeze permanently before the blue screen of death appears, it reads as follows.

\"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp

If this is the first time you\'ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware vendor for any driver updates.

Technical Information

***STOP: 0x000000EA (0x86324020, 0x86c7B120, 0xF7BE9CBC, 0x00000001)

nv4_disp
    Beginning dump of physical memory\"

If anybody would like to help it would be much appreciated, CAD and other programs still seem to work fine, and i have installed the latest driver for my graphics card.

My Theory is that it may be attempting to run two video card drivers at the same time, under the NVIDIA folder where the
    driver(s)are, there is a folder called Win2KXP, and inside that folder there are two folders, one is called 81.67 and the other is called 77.30, i think these may be the two different driver versions the computer is trying to run simultaneously. I don't want to go and randomly delete or move any system folders right now without a garuntee that it won't affect the work i have stored on my pc.

Its a nice challenging problem for all you people who think you know it all to figure out. Any theories or rough guesstimates would be helpful. Though i feel like i've tried everything!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice