1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Needed OS Not Found

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AtHome34, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AtHome34

AtHome34 Thread Starter

Happy New Year. Hi, and Thank You for this Forum.
    Sysinfo at bottom.
    1) Have to use F8, last known configuration, for start up. Event viewer shows Boot Driver is missing.
    2) Had to start up again as Avast required this for update. This never occurred before?? This last time start up was very difficult.
    3) After hours of study found out that I need a new driver,
    "NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management".
    4 The problem is that the driver properties for this device show " no driver installed" , while the driver details show the files for it, as if it were installed.
    Files C:\\windows\system32\NVCOSMB.DLL
    \nvsmb.nvu
    \nvsmb.exe
    5 I tried to update this driver and NVDIA showed , " up to date" as if it were installed. Then I rolled it back and it was updated. My computer started up properly twice and then the event viewer showed the driver was" dumped" today.
    6 I tried to find the correct driver to install, using all the procedures on the NVIDIA site and could not find the driver. So I am afraid to uninstall the driver,or files for it, and i have no idea what i am doing. Can't turn off my computer again, even for updates. It was almost impossible to start up for last update.
    Please help me. I am afraid i will loss this computer. Thank you, AtHome34
    Sysinfo
    HP Windows Vista Home Premium Compaq Presario F700 Notebook (F765CA)
    Product # KP027UA#ABC

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario F765CA laptop.

You might want to browse through the "Solve a problem - Startup / Shutdown - Error messages during startup / shutdown" section and the "System recovery" section.

You didn't say how long ago the problem started. Have you tried using System Restore to revert back to a date prior to when the problem started? Here is the section on how to use it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. AtHome34

AtHome34 Thread Starter

Hi. Thank you for your quick reply. It saved me from going
    in a wrong direction!

I have read the links you gave me and will use them with help from a friend. I am learning and fairly new. I would like to follow these steps tomorrow but am frozen when it comes to turning off my computer.

Ques" Are these Tests designed to open the computer?
    Should i do so on adnim acount and not fear?

Your question re the date is very important. The problem showed up on Dec 25/10, when starting my computer. It was last on Dec 23/10 and this is what happened.
    1 I dropped the laptop over a desk onto the floor. All seemed fine.
    2 I did not turn off my computer but decided to access an online tech support company. The subscription was a gift.
    I was not going to the site because I dropped the computer but to activate and find out about it.
    3 The service spent over 4 hours having to correct errors they made during their " needed Registry clean, optimizing and other things? They had to install, uninstall and reinstall programs. Every thing went wrong.
    It was a nightmare.
    4 So, on Dec25/10 the problem began with no normal start up as described.

I saw over 20 errors on the event viewer for Dec23/10.
    The problems and solutions area shows over 60 problems
    for this time period as well. They are service hang errors for the online tech company. Sys32 and 30. Version.exe and minidp.?. As they said temp files I deleted them with no known consequences. i dare not call this place again.
    They also caused my Avast web shield to now load late and their Home Network Manager losses data.

Ques:
    1 1 have only I computer....this wireless laptop. Can the Home NWK M be deleted and should I get the whole program deleted?
    2 Could messing with my registry and then deleting systems files, " not need " have caused this problem?
    3 Should I sent the event viewer relevant files to you for that time period on Dec 23/10?
    4 I am curious, does NVIDIA nForce PCI systems manager
    need a driver in any case?
    5 When using my adnim acount a new light shows above the tiny del key to right of F12. Cannot turn it off.

Thank you for your support. It is much appreciated.
    AtHome34

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I wasn't aware that you had dropped your laptop on the floor, so it's unknown how much if any internal damage was done to it.

If you had some online tech support site remote-access your laptop and go through registry cleaning and optimizing procedures, it's unknown how much damage was done to your programs and the operating system.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. AtHome34

AtHome34 Thread Starter

Hi.
    Sorry about that! When I first posted I had no idea that an the online tech service was not a good thing to use. It was given to me as a new user with a broken back and stuck in bed. When the computer fell it was on a portable bed type desk and flew onto the floor. I guess they are not that tough. I did not mean to mislead you!! i
    It was when I viewed the event viewer and problems area, after your question re the date, that I saw the problems.

Questions: 1 Should I still follow the links you sent and do the procedures to try
    and fix my computer?

2 Would you recommend that I get a friend to take my computer to
    a local and very reputable tech shop instead?

3 Am I correct to never use the online tech support again and have
    their components removed from my computer?

4 Having only one wireless laptop do I need a Home Net WK.

Thank you helping and for your patience. This computer is a link to the world for a long while to come. It was a gift as well and I had to learn on my feet....so to speak.
    Best Wish AtHome34

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Dropping a laptop can cause all kinds of problems, and they can get very expensive to repair. If it's more than a couple of years old, I suggest replacing it. I can't make heads or tails of your other problems / questions, so I can't comment. A "home network" is not a program or something that can be deleted. It's a connection.

8. AtHome34

AtHome34 Thread Starter

Hello Flavallee,
    I tried to preform the " Operating System not found" message error test from the link you gave me. Found that I am stuck because there are 2 tests which seem to apply for this computer and I am not sure which to use.

1} The test For "Operating System not found" for the Message shown on black screen at start up seems right. This is the message I get. The problem is that it is for WinXP and Win2000.

2} I followed the link on the page for Vista and it shows the test is for the Message which says "Boot Drive not found etc". Not my message at all.
    So, I am stumped as to which test to use.
    You help is much appreciated. AtHome 34

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Without having a "hands on" with that laptop, I really don't know what else to advise you.

Any numbers of things could've happened because of the drop and impact with the floor.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. AtHome34

AtHome34 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Yes, I understand about the drop on the floor. First will brave the test you sent me.

May then have my computer brought to the tech shop unless my son comes home from Uni. He emailed, just now!!! Said he would burn a Hard Disk diagnostic test to a CD and run it at Boot.

Will let you know if we can save my computer. Would have really ruined it without your advice.

Thank you for helping out. AtHome34

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say how old that laptop is, so it may not even be worth spending money to have it fixed - if it can be fixed.
    Like DoubleHelix said, replacing it may be the best option.
    Good luck with your son.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice