1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Nightmare -ati2cqag.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ronhum, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronhum

ronhum Thread Starter

Boy did I open up a can of worms.

I tried to update to the new online XP update. Major mistake.

Download etc. seemed to go ok, but then when restarted into the dreaded dark blue screen that says "If this is the first time you have seen this, then reboot, etc. etc. et.

It indicated that the problem might be a driver called ati2mtag.sys

well, I did a repair install of windows, etc,

And doing the repair, it stops and asked for this driver.

Well, i found it online at some driver guide, and downloaded on another computer and transferred via floppy, and it installed, then said I needed ati2dvag.dll.

Well i found that on driver guide site and transferred it via floppy. It started again, and then said it wanted ati2cqag.dll.

Well, I can't find this driver anywhere, but I am wondering if it is going to ask me for several hundred of these.

Does anyone know where I can find this driver? I went to the ATi website, but of course they only have downloads in the pacakages, etc.

Do I just reinstall Windows XP from scratch?

2. ronhum

ronhum Thread Starter

While Windows appears to reinstall, I get no display.

During the reinstall, Windows says the driver isnt certified by Windows, etc. And if I choose not to install it doesnt display, and if I choose to install it says it can't find any of the ati drivers, etc.

Could I solve this by just buying a new display card, possibly?

3. ronhum

ronhum Thread Starter

Just a warning. Think very carefully before installing the new XP update. I had no problems with this computer, until I did it. Now I have no way of getting it going again. While some probably had no problem, it has turned into a nightmare for this computer. Sometimes it is better to just leave well enough alone. Ha.

4. keebs

keebs

Hey,
    What kind of card do you have?? what company name is it?? , i agree with u when i do a fresh windows xp install i never updated never did and never will ;]

5. ronhum

ronhum Thread Starter

Well, I can finally get a display now, that I went and bought a new Nvidia based video card to take the place of the ATI radeon that the Service Pack 2 chocked on .

I finally got a browser after a couple of repair installs of windows, however, now will not do a Windows update at all.

I suggest against upgrading to SP2. It was worse than a virus on this computer. In fact it became a pretty awesome virus itself. And doesn't even show up on the computer.

I am going to back everything up, and do a clean install of windows. But I will not use Service Pack 2 if I can avoid it.

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I posted elsewhere on this subject and the poster who followed me points out the simple arithmetic fact that if only 1% of the millions of people who have installed SP2 had problems, these boards, and others, would be swamped with queries. The fact that they aren't shows me my confidence in the package was justified - that and the fact that I had no problemns, despite having a Radeon 9200 graphics card.

I updated all my my drivers, as I regularly do, before installing, ran Spybot and AdAware and then removed them along with SpywareBlaster - installed and just carried on as usual. I've slipstreamed the SP into a full version of XP Pro which I now have on CD in case I upgrade and need to reinstall.

If you don't mind having restricted access to future critical updates because you don't have the biggest one to date, carry on without installing this but ask yourself - if Ford or GM recalled your car for a potential brake problem, would you think twice?

7. zmaster

zmaster

The problem is people upgrade to sp2 and they don't do the research behind it to see if there are going to be any problems with the software/hardware they are running. It was good to see Ronhum actually backed up his stuff before going to sp2.

8. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice