1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Power State Failure - Windows Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by donnatypes01, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donnatypes01

donnatypes01 Thread Starter

Okay it seems this problem is fairly common, but what isn't, is a simple solution that is easily understood, (for me, anyway). I get the blue screen, but my laptop shuts down too quickly for me to read all of what is going on and I don't know what to do.

What I do get is that Windows is shutting down to protect my system from damage. I also understand the evil "Driver_Power_State_Failure", which should come with its very own Mr Yuk Sticker.

The problem is sporadic, but happens often enough to be annoying. The reboot is so slow it has whiskers on it by the time I make it back to the desktop, and this seems to happen after my PC has been hibernating or sleeping, (but not immediately), which I take to be another commonality. I keep seeing that this may be a driver problem, but since it IS sporadic, I cannot pinpoint when it began, thereby trying to deduce WHICH program driver may be the culprit.

I use an G60 Series HP laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2.

Please help? :confused:

Thanks much,

Donna

2. joeten

joeten

Hi and welcome to TSG here is some info on your error code

0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    (Click to consult the online <A class=rk href="http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ulhr.asp" target=_blank>Win XP Resource Kit article.)
    A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

if you can please go to C:\windows\minidump and copy the files to a folder name it next right click on the folder and choose the send to zip option then go to your posting page use the go advanced button then the paperclip icon and use the browse button to locate the folder and attach to your next post then someone here can run it through a debug and try to narrow down what is causing your issue

3. donnatypes01

Thank you so much for your help I hope I have attached the zip file correctly. Please let me know what you find?

Again, I really appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue.

Donna

Attached Files:

4. joeten

joeten

Hi I'am no expert on debugging do you have any usb devices plugged in

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The newer ones are not specifiying a non system driver or device, but one of the older ones does.

As Joe asked, what external devices if any are connected to the system?

This is an older one

BugCheck 9F, {4, 258, 84d18580, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for RTSTOR.SYS
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for RTSTOR.SYS
    Probably caused by : RTSTOR.SYS ( RTSTOR+15ea )

Rtstor.sys. Realtek USB Mass Storage Driver for Vista - Realtek USB Mass Storage Driver ...

I believe this may be a card reader.

--------------------------------

I've uploaded the last bugcheck which only faults a system memory manager, but we may have to look closely at the loaded module list to see what device related drivers might be a source of the problem.

The newer one does show that loaded module >>
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for RTSTOR.SYS\

--------------------------

If it is not an attached device or a security program (sometimes a cause), you may need to reload or update the chipset drivers from the system vendor.

Does the problem occur only during wireless use? If so you may need to update your drivers there.

Attached Files:

6. joeten

joeten

Thank you Rog

7. donnatypes01

Generally, I use a mouse, and my printer are attached by USB. My blackberry for updates. I cant think of anything else. Perhaps one of my Yahoo Chat Clients? I use Yzak and I have used YTK pro. Would either of those make a difference?

8. joeten

joeten

Hi sorry for the delay,as you can see from Rog's post he has suggested some possible issues and the possible areas to look for the cause,he also asked you about your secuirty programs please try to reply to the questions regarding this

9. donnatypes01

I see a question asking about wireless use, and as this computer has only ever been connected to the internet through a wireless connection, the answer would be yes, the problem only occurrs during wireless use. I do have a Realtek Ethernet driver in my list of installed programs, along with a Realtek USB 2.0 Card reader. Does any of this information help?

10. joeten

joeten

Hi there is also a question re realtek usb mass storage device,try updating the wifi driver as Rog suggested

11. donnatypes01

I attempted to update drivers for the wifi as advised, but was informed that I have the latest drivers. I was not sure if I should uninstall because I did not know if I could reinstall once I had. Please advise?

12. joeten

joeten

Hi how are you updating

13. donnatypes01

Hi, I apologize for the delay in response, I have been away.

I use the network adapter section of the device manager to attempt to update drivers.

I have not had this problem since I began this thread. It is possible that something I tried earlier may have fixed it, but as the problem was sporadic, I am not sure this is the case. Is there some way to check?

14. joeten

joeten

Hi try updating the wifi driver from the computer makers support site for your model this is normally the best way to ensure you have the latest driver,rather than via device manager or windows update

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!