1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver problem for Intel graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PNG_pyro, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PNG_pyro

PNG_pyro Thread Starter

I am having a problem with my Intel 82852/82855 graphics card drivers. this started when I tried to update the driver. I downloaded the driver, and tried to update it by unzipping the file, and going to device manager, selecting the device, selecting update driver, and specifying the location. it worked pretty well, but right at the end of the proccess, where the bar was almos full, it stopped. the wizard told me that there had been an error while installing my hardware; "the specified file could not be found." however, I didn't see a file specified anywhere! also, after this, my video card, (or cards, I'm not sure; device manager shows two;) had the little yellow circle with and exclamation mark near it. I tried this several times, completely unninstalling the drivers from the add/remove program lists. I've even tried it with an older driver, but I get the same message. Please help me: I'm pretty desperate!:(

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Have just done an update to a PC here with the intel integrated graphics, but not in that manner.

The file should come with a setup.exe when unzipped into a directory. Run that.
    As detailed in the 'readme" file:

AUTOMATED INSTALL USING SETUP.EXE
    ---------------------------------

1. To install from a Web download, you will download a ZIP
    file from the Web. You must unzip it using a utility
    such as WinZip* or PKZip*.

2. Click the 'Start' button in the task bar, click 'Run...'
    and then select 'Setup.exe' from the hard drive
    directory where the driver files are stored. The
    Install dialog will appear.

3. click 'Next' to continue.

4. Read License Agreement and click Yes to proceed.

5. When the 'Setup COMPLETE' message appears click
    'Finish' to restart your computer.

3. PNG_pyro

PNG_pyro Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion; I just tried it, but it didn't work. It started installing fine, but after a few seconds, it brought up a window claiming that there had been an error installing my 765 by 1024 digital flat screen, because it could not find the specified file. This looked just like the one that I got while trying to install the video card, but with the monitor instead of the graphics controller. (Why is it trying to install a monitor? I thought this was a graphics card driver.) I clicked finish, and it went back to installing, but a few seconds later it brought up an error message saying that one of the files needed for installation was missing or corrupted. then it shut down.

4. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon , you might have a read of Natty's route PP.
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/491356-solved-asus-video-card.html

If your machine keeps crashing and won't boot normally try booting to safe mode, (tap F8 at boot) enter the device manager > graphics adapter and disable it.

This should allow a normal boot if neccessary.

When the previous driver has been removed from the system the new driver may be installed and no problem should be experienced.

Plug and Play monitors are identified and often include extra software for extra manipulation abilities that can be made from the machine rather than the monitor itself.

A bit like manipulating a Kiwi remotely with a sharp instrument. (LOL!)

Cheers, qldit. 24c at 1700 hrs calm, fine and pleasant in paradise!

5. PNG_pyro

PNG_pyro Thread Starter

Woot! I like Kiwis. One of my favorite fruit. Anyways, I tried the driver cleaner, and it didn't solve my problem. I tried installing both ways, with the update driver button, and with the setup.exe file. neither worked, but when I tried an older version that I'd downloaded off the support site, I got an errorr message that I don't think I've seen before. it was like this; I ran setup.exe, it extracted the files, and started installing. it then gave me this message:

"Runtime error!

Program: C:\Progra~\common~\instal~1\Engine\6\Intel3~1\Kernel.exe

Abnormal program termination."

After that, The installer shut down, and I got this error message:

"an errorr occurred while launching setup.

The remote procedure call failed."

6. PNG_pyro

PNG_pyro Thread Starter

I probablly should have noted before that this is a rather buggy laptop running XP.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Evening PNG_pyro, the short legged one is pretty good with Laptops (especially male ones!)
    That problem doesn't sound all that nice, when things work I hate repairing them!

It sounds like you may have a real problem there.

What is the status of windows?
    (SP-1 or 2, if 2 was it loaded over a previous installation?)

What is the processor and system?
    Do you have the proper MS Windows CD?
    Does the CDROM operate perfectly?
    If neccessary are you familiar with reloading windows?

(I am asking as a last instance option.)

See what the Kiwi thinks. (new experience for him!)
    Cheers, qldit.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. PNG_pyro

PNG_pyro Thread Starter

I have windows XP home edition, version 2002, service pack 2. However, I don't know if it was installed over a previous one, because I got the computer second hand. (for free, actually, so I'm not complaining.) For the same reason, I have no windows install disk. I could probabbly procure one if neccesary though.

The processor is a genuine intel pentium four 2.3 ghz. I'm not sure what you mean by system, but it's 480 megs of ram, and 55 gig hard drive. My built in CD drive doesn't work, but I'm borrowing (kinda indefinatly,) a Iomega zip CD drive. It hasn't given me any problems yet.

Yes, I am familliar with reloading windows; I recently upgraded my brothers laptop from win 98 to win 2000 on the recomendation of my uncle. it was a little tricky, but I got it figured out.

I hope this is what you wanted; I'm really thankfull for the help!

-Neal

10. PNG_pyro

PNG_pyro Thread Starter

I gave the alternate driver a try, but it was no different. I wasn't really expecting much, because it was the same file (win2k_xp141950.exe) that I'd downloaded before. thanks for your input, though.

11. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon -Neal, see if T6's driver operates properly.
    He is one clever cookie! (I think he must be descendent from Australian stock!)

I hate those runtime error problems.

As a matter of interest what direct X version are you running and have you recently updated it?

By the way, it would be an idea to obtain SIW, (Windows System Information program)
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/siw.html
    This is an invaluable tool that gives all kinds of info reference "Password" and "critical stuff" from your machine.
    (Make hard copy)

Kiwi is very quiet, probably turned into a block of ice! (this proves hell does freeze over!!)

Cheers, qldit.

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Kiwi is just contemplating ... not frozen. Spring is arriving!

BTW PNG_pyro, a "kiwifruit" is actually a Chinese Gooseberry
    It's just that we are better at growing them than the Australians ...

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Gentlemen, what A/V and malware systems are you running there Neal.
    I wouldn't be surprised if something has affected the "string pulling" mechanism in windows.

I do feel the reason for the Kiwi fruit growing so well in NZ is due to the "fertilizer" that covers the areas where humans habitate there!

By the way, a smidgen of useless information for you, were you aware that some fruit, notably "water melons" actually grow so quickly that certain bacteria can be "wicked" up from the growing medium and appear inside them.
    So consuming these "bacteria bombs" should be avoided in some places.
    Cheers, qldit.

15. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I know some Australians that resemble that...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice