1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Robert1, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

I am trying to load a driver for my video card. But I don't know the manufacturer/model of the card so don't know what driver to install for it. I pulled the card, but nothing on it clearly indicates this information.

My machine is a desktop PC Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows 98.

Can someone help me here? Can I establish the manufacturer and 'model' of the card by looking at the info that appears on it, or by inputting a command into the computer? At the moment I only have 600 by 800 resolution, and I understand I can't get the full capabilities of my screen back until I get the driver reinstalled.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    Robert

2. norton850

norton850

Although there are utilites that might ID the card, have you tried going to the Dell web site and entering in your service tag # for info about your system? You can probably get the drivers there also.

3. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Thank you Norton850: As you suggested, I tried bringing up the information for my system at their web site. Got so far, but then the automated response indicated the information was not available: so I've sent them an email. Hopefully they'll come through for me. With a system this old (I did see that I bought if from them 'way back in August of 2000) I'm not sure they'll be able to help me, but it's worth a try. Well, if I can get the machine going again that would be great. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it, just that I got so much garbage on it after 5 years of ongoing use, I finally had to 'wipe' it. Unfortunately, my video driver was also wiped out.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply.

Robert

4. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

5. SacsTC

SacsTC

According to Dell all these video cards were in the 4100:
    ATI 16MB Rage 128 Pro
    ATI 32MB Radeon
    nVidia 32MB GeForce2 GTS
    nVidia 32MB GeForce2 MX
    nVidia 64MB DDR GeForce 256 AGP+
    nVidia 64MB GeForce2 GTS
    nVidia 64MB GeForce2 GTS Ultra
    nVidia GeForce 256 AGP Plus
    nVidia TNT2-M64
    You will need to find out which one you have installed

6. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Thank you guys for responding to my call for assistance. As a result of your efforts this computer will be passed on to a single mother who is trying to upgrade her credentials and badly needs it for academic purposes, and also her young sons of eight and three who need it to get acquainted with the 'digital world' - and we all know how needful it is for kids to learn how to 'do digital' nowadays! Thanks again guys for 'saving the day': by the way, a Dell technician did get back to me, identifying the specific kind of video card (a 32 MB Nvidia TNT2M64) in the machine and also giving me the link where I finally got the needed driver.

All best,
    Robert

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice