1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

driver problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fly440, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

Hi All
    My problem is,my sisters hard drive went pop so she needed a new one put in,I said I would do it but before I got around there she had put an old drive she got off a mate in it and booted it up using the old drive,she never even formatted it.The comp ran off the other drive but without all her drivers.I bought another hard drive 80gig instaled it the correct way fdisk etc etc .But it will not accept any drivers for some reason the message I get is,"this is not a tattoed system" any ideas on this one .

2. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

you cant install the operating system on the new HARD DRIVE?

or you cant install the original drivers[that were provided with the purchased hardware...motherboard drivers,graphics card etc..] after the instalation of the operating system has been performed?

3. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

cant install drivers from original disks once new hard drive and operating system was in stalled,The old drive my sister put in had the operating system from some one elses comp and she booted up from it and it ran but not very well,has she some how corrupted the mother board or is that impossible to do

4. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

that is a very unwise course of action.

the WINDOWS INSTALATION MUST be performed on the PC that he/she intends to use.
    [instaling a system on one PC and transfering the HDD to another PC[with different motherboard most likely]will very likely cause the system to crash and/or other problems.

have you removed the OLD HARD DRIVE[with preinstaled operating system] from the motherboard?

nothing is impossible.

5. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

Hi
    Yes I have removed the old hard drive fitted a brand new one and reinstalled windows ,but when I go to install the drivers from the original driver disks it comes up with {this is not a tattoed drive } any ideas why the message or how to get around it.

6. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

Hi All
    I have managed to get the comp going by downloading a new Bios and all related drivers off the packard bell site,problem is now that win xp keeps coming up with you have 30 days to register then you will no longer be able to use this product.Is there a way to by pass this message it is my own win xp,my sister never had a full version to put on this new hard drive.

7. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

you have to register your WINDOWS XP online by clicking on the key icon.

it is an easy task if you have the original WINDOWS XP installation CD.

there is no "demo" version of WINDOWS XP.

the WINDOWS very likely detected the change in the system configuration and required you to re-register your WINDOWS copy to insure that it is still used on same PC.

8. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

thats the problem it is my original disk i put on my sisters,I thought that was ok seeing as I bought the computer and the disk was given to me ,my sister never had a full copy,will the win xp know this and delete its self or something.

9. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

microsoft policy is one copy per PC.

after the 30 day dead line for registration expires...if you have not entered the PRODUCT ACTIVATION CODE during that time....you will not be able to access and/or use the WINDOWS XP until you enter the PRODUCT REGISTRATION CODE.

read the following article.

Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

10. bbearren

bbearren

Without Activation, XP will basically shut down after 30 days.

11. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

will this still activate ,even thou it is on a diff comp,I am not trying to rip anybody off I really did think that the product was mine and would be ok to install on another drive.

12. Rochus

Rochus

If the original disk is a full copy of windows XP then:
    *hook up and empty harddrive and back-up the data that you value. (burn it to cd/dvd later)
    *Turn of your pc and unhook your back harddrive.
    * reinstall your windows, windows may prompt you to call a number. Call the number and they will give you a code to enable your Windows.
    *reinstall all your device drivers. If you have a cd/dvd burner + software (nero) then make
    a system restore disk right away.
    If the orginal disk is a system disk for the pc you bought then:
    * That system disk is specifically intended the pc you purchased.
    * If you use it for another pc, the chipset drivers installed from your system disk will interfer with your new pc. (new=different pc)

13. bbearren

bbearren

Legal use of MS Windows is one computer per copy of Windows. If the CD you have is the installation CD for the copy of Windows on your computer, installing that copy of Windows on your sister's computer is not a legal use.

I doubt if you'll be able to activate it.

14. fly440

fly440 Thread Starter

would It be easier if i fdisked the drive and put win 2000 on That has never given me a problem at all .

15. bbearren

bbearren

You can do that, or buy another copy of Windows XP.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice