1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Update Software Needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by referee07, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I am wondering if driver update software programs are needed? I downloaded "Driver Easy" to see how it worked, and it found 16 drivers that need updating. I was thinking that Windows Updates might take care of drivers that need updates, but I am also thinking that Widows updates only handles Windows itself. Any replies and information will be appreciated.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    IMO those type of driver updater programs are worse than useless, they tend to recommend updating simply to encourage you to buy them and often install the wrong driver !

Windows Update does offer driver updates occasionally but it's best to go to the maker's website and get drivers from there.

Also if your computer is working well there is no real point in updating the drivers, unless the maker advises it. As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

managed, thanks for the reply. The thought that a driver update program would install a wrong driver is eye-opening regarding driver updating programs. My computer seems to be working well with the exception of the internal DVD/CD player not being "seen" by the computer. That is, when I go to My Computer, the internal hard-drive is showing, but the DVD/CD player is not. I have chatted with Microsoft Support Techs who looked into reinstalling the driver for the player and who eventually indicted that it might be with the hardware player itself. Anyway, thanks for the information and the advise. I will not be purchasing a driver updating program anytime soon.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

I would check the cables connecting to the DVD drive, make sure the power cable is fully inserted and check the data cable (the smaller of the 2) at both ends.

What version of Windows are you running ? 32 or 64 bit ?

5. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

managed, thanks again for your reply. I thought about checking the connection of the DVD/CD tray to the computer but when I checked how to do that on YouTube, it seemed like there was a lot more to it than opening the computer and checking the cable. I do plan to do this but I need to get the right-size screwdriver. When the computer is opened-up, I plan to check all of the cable connections while I am there. Thanks again.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

managed, thanks again for your reply and for your expertise. The reason why I believe that the internal cable hooking the DVD/CD player to the computer has come lose, is because the computer does not even recognize that the DVD/CD player is there. When I press the button on the DVD/CD tray, no light come on and the tray does not open. Because my computer does not recognize that the DVD/CD player exists, I can't try any DVDs or CDs. When I am able to get some extremely small screwdrivers, I am going to try to open my computer and see if I can make sure that the cables are securely fastened. (BTW, I took my computer to a local computer shop, and the DVD/CD tray was replaced and nothing changed. That is, no light on the tray, and the computer still did not recognize that the DVD/CD player exists.)

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  9. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

managed, thanks again for your reply and for your help. My computer is a laptop, Dell Inspiron 5565. Please see below the results of the System Information check:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A9-9400 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 7638 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (481 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0WJM4N
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Also, the System Information scan above above shows "Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled" but I have ESET NOD32 running on my computer.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    As it's a laptop things are a bit different, the DVD drive connects to a Sata power and data port inside the laptop, there are no cables.

I would remove the DVD drive and check there's nothing obstructing the connector, then refit it.
    You only have to remove one screw and push it outwards through the hole, see page 15 of the Service manual from here for details :- https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...pport/product/inspiron-15-5565-laptop/manuals

Do you really need a DVD drive though ? If you do and the above doesn't help you could buy a new internal one for the laptop but if there's a problem with the connector or something else inside it may not work.

You could get an external USB DVD RW drive instead, you can do most things with that except it may not be bootable to install Windows from DVD but you can do that with a Usb stick.

11. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

managed, I apologize for this extremely reply to your last post. I slid the drive out and there did not appear to be anything wrong with the drive. I really don't use the drive that much and so I don't really need to buy an external CD/DVD player. I would, however, like to have the internal drive working for when I want to play a DVD or CD. I plan to wait to where I am living near a Dell Service Center and then take the computer to the techs there and ask them to check it out. Thanks again for your assistance and your suggestions. I can't really marked this problem "Solved" because it really wasn't solved so I guess I will just keep it open for any further replies to my question.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  13. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

managed, thanks again for your reply. I did take my computer to a off-post shop and the tech tried another DVD/CD drive in the computer, and it did not work either. I think that the problem is in a connection or something in my computer and not any hardware. I plan to take my computer to an authorized Dell Service Center and let them try to fix the problem. Thanks again for all of your help and advise.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome, good luck with the repair.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice