1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver updates

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eljay376, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eljay376

eljay376 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have just returned my PC to fairly good operating speed, after a period of what appears to have been utility software conflicts.

I don't know if I should now attempt to go for broke by updating drivers (as detected by one of the freebie downloads at the top of your site), or whether it's best to abide by the rule "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!".

Listed as being out of date are: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000; C-Media AC97 Audio Device; Soft V92 Data Fax Modem (is this redundant anyway as I am now on a cable modem?); SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter; InterVideo WinDVD 2.2.

The existing drivers are likely to be just over 3 years old.

If any likely benefits are only going to be marginal and the potential for scrambling my PC's brain a distinct liklihood, I would like to be advised to leave well alone.

Not having updated any drivers previously, I don't know what if anything I'm missing.

I am also unaware as to whether it's as simple as downloading and saving to my desktop and running, with the download doing all the tidying up after, or if I am just going to clutter my system up with redundant files and registry entries that no longer apply.

If there might be genuine benefits to be had, then fine - but if I'm really unlikely to notice the difference on such a basic piece of kit as my own (AMD Athlon XP, 1500 MHz (4.5 x 333) 1700+; ASRock K7S41GX (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN); IE7; Windows XP Home Service Pack 2; 768 Mb RAM) - then please feel free to tell me that it's really not the best of ideas.

Any advice in respect of this will be much appreciated.

Best regards - eljay.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You answered your own question; "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!".

3. eljay376

eljay376 Thread Starter

Thank you friend,

If you've prevented me from getting all screwed up again, your advice has been worth more than you could imagine!

Best regards - eljay.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice