1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Driver Verification Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by j20, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j20

j20 Thread Starter

Hi,

My brother had a problem on his cpu and used driver verifier to investigate the issue. He restarted the cpu and now it seems to have locked him out. It only gets to the loading screen before stopping leaving a blank screen. I tried pressing F8 and going into safe mode but nothing works.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!:)

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do note the driver (not the error parameter) on the BSOD screen seen with verifier -- that is the key to solving the problem

To reset driver verifier restart in Safe Mode.

Then go to Start > run and enter: verifier /reset

Then restart in normal mode.

3. IT-Support

IT-Support

Rog, he said he cant get into Windows.

J20 what happens when you try and go into safe mode, does it just hang? If so and you have the windows disc, it might be worth trying a windows repair and see if that fixes it so you can login either in safe mode or normal windows.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're right, I jumped the gun there -- that is unusual if it is Driver Verifier problem. I don't think it is because Safe Mode would not load verifier.

There is a way to restore an older registry through "system restore" using the recovery console at first that might get one in, but I'll wait and see if there is any further response here.

A repair/reinstall replaces system files and associated default registry entries -- and may or may not fix the problem.

One has to decide on one approach or the other though, as a reinstall will remove restore points.

5. j20

j20 Thread Starter

Everytime i start the cpu it does the bar thing loads and then it goes blank. Nothing happens after that. I need a way of re-formatting windows without actually going into it (if that makes sense). I tried using the disc, but the BSOD keeps appearing. I've also been told that the cpu suffered from a virus infection.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

By "CPU" I assume you are just referring to the computer itself -- but that is actually a reference to the Central Processor Unit, which cannot itself be infected (but might be bad).

Can you create a Puppy Linux boot disk and see if that will load? >>

http://www.puppylinux.com/

Also if you have an XP SP1 or later disk I would recommend creating UBCD4Win (it can be created using another computer)

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

This sounds like it might be a hardware problem -- and this is a good way to test that. If you cannot get Puppy Linux to load -- then the problem is on the motherboard -- possibly ram -- so you might want to test that >>

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice