Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver will not install on windows 10

1K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  Jomo101 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a new (built) computer with windows 10 installed and am unable to get one of my software to run correctly.
The software is called Notebook and is from Smart Technology.
This software worked perfectly on windows 7.
Smart Technology claims that one of the drivers is not installing and told me that I had to make a change in the registry to get the driver to install.
I am hoping that someone here can give me the instruction on how to make these changes.
I have an email from Smart Technology that describes the problem better:
We have received the dump file you sent earlier.
As reported you have a Windows computer connected to the SP524 - there is no touch/pen function; The status light is blinking green,
- When the status is blinking green; this means that the proper drivers are not being loaded
- There is something from with the computer that is not letting the driver to load
- Using the System Logged Events (from the dump file you sent); if you filter the log using
Errors:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-45JNQMG\Steven SID (S-1-5-21-2458494811-3364235433-1497442963-1002) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

An attempt to configure the input mode of a multitouch device failed.

A pointer device has no information about the monitor it is attached to.

A pointer device has no information about the monitor it is attached to.

Thank you,
Steven

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: Jomo101
#3 ·
Try installing the driver within safe mode.
If you check under device manager when the device is connected is there any exclamation mark next to the device?
Is the device Windows 10 compatible?
Some suggestions:
https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-...mission-for-the-com-server-application-error/
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ion-for-the-com-server?forum=configmgrgeneral
I will try installing in safe mode,
The device does not show up under device manager.
Yes, the device is windows 10 compatible.
I have already been to the links you provided but no luck.
Thanks!

#4 ·
Win10 will not install a driver that is unsigned. You can fix this pretty easily.
1 Open a command prompt as admin
2 Type " bcdedit /set testsigning on" without quotes and hit enter
3 Restart your Windows and then you will find a watermark appearing at the bottom right corner of your desktop to tell you that you are in Test Mode. Just install your unsigned drivers.
4 When you are all finished, again open cmd prompt as admin and type "bcdedit /set testsigning off" without quotes in the cmd prompt and hit enter. Restart. Done.

#6 ·
If the device doesn’t show under device manager then there’s a fault with it.
Check further under device manager>view>show hidden devices. If it’s there then try installing the drivers via update drivers for the device.

Reactions: Jomo101
#8 ·
If the device doesn't show under device manager then there's a fault with it.
Check further under device manager>view>show hidden devices. If it's there then try installing the drivers via update drivers for the device.
I looked under hidden devices and my software is not there. The problem is that it doesn't have permission to start.

#7 · (Edited)
I looked at the driver for your device and it appears to be a generic driver for all of their products. In addition, I downloaded it and installed it on my system without problems.
The problem is not the software; it is your system and or windows install. If you have some third party antivirus and or firewall, you would need to disable those and install.
The system on which it installed without problems is an asrock X570 motherboard and AMD3800X running windows 10 enterprise.

#9 ·
The computer is a new build so I did not mind restarting the os again today.
I have no antivirus and I still have the same problem.
Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 2009 (build 19042.630)
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF B450M-PLUS

Thanks for installing the software yourself. If you need anymore information then let me know. Any ideas based on what I supplied?

#11 ·
No. Actually I receive no error at all when I try to run the software. The Notebook software opens as usual but the pen that I use to write on my Smart Podium monitor does not work on this computer. For the record I own a 2nd Smart podium that also does not work on this computer. Both podiums/monitors work correctly on my windows 7 computer. I noticed somewhere (event viewer?) that I was getting 10016 errors all the time.

#14 ·
The only reason I knew that there was a problem is because after the Smart Technology whiteboard opened up I could not use my pen to write on my screen. I never received any error when I opened the software. I did look at Event Viewer and saw that there was multiple 10016 errors. This error corresponds with what Smart Technology said the problem was which is I do not have permission to load the driver for this software.

#15 ·
#20 ·
#21 ·
I tend to think it is an incompatibility with your system, win10, and the software. Since it installed without issue on my system.
About the only thing I can think of is to create a virtual machine running win7 [since it ran under win7] Install the software on the virtual machine.
Other than that, I think you are pretty much out of options.

#22 · (Edited)
I tend to think it is an incompatibility with your system, win10, and the software. Since it installed without issue on my system.
About the only thing I can think of is to create a virtual machine running win7 [since it ran under win7] Install the software on the virtual machine.
Other than that, I think you are pretty much out of options.
The Smart Notebook installed on my computer 'without an issue' as well. When you open Notebook, which I can do, there is a driver that is suppose to install (or maybe this driver should always be on) and that is the driver that is giving me the problem. Unless you have a smart monitor I am not sure if you can tell if the driver installed correctly.

The version of Notebook that I am using (and I did try other versions) is 19.0.4069.2 and the driver is 12.14.314.0

It is funny that you mentioned using a virtual machine as I installed one with windows 7 yesterday and it seemed to install correctly. I was able to install firefox so clearly I do have internet. However, amazingly I can't install the Notebook software (I can download it). I will call Smart Tech tomorrow (hopefully they will be open.

Happy Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.