1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by palex71, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am running:
    Dell Optiplex GX240
    Windows XP Home Ed.

The motherboard has two RAM slots, each of which had a 256MB stick. I am trying to install two 512MB sticks. When they are both installed I am getting the above error. Any configuration less than the 1024MB total seems to work fine. I have tested both sticks individually and both appear to work. Right now I am at 768MB (one 256MB and one 512MB).

Is there some sort of virtual memory issue that needs to be resolved in order for the system to accept both of the 512MB sticks?

Thanks so much,
    Paul

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Virtual Memory settings should take care of themselves but if those two 512Mb sticks aren't matched, they may not work together properly. Did they come from the same place and are marked identically? Does swapping them between slots make any difference?

You can download Microsoft's memory test from their site and burn it to a CD with an ISO that makes that disk bootable, then run the tests with both sticks in place - that should tell you something.

3. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

Yes... they are identical and from the same manufacturer. They also each work individually regardless of in which slot they are.

4. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

I went ahead and ran the memory test. It worked perfectly when I had one 512MB and one 256MB stick in the two slots. However, when I put both 512MB stick in, the results were:

MATS+ Failed
    INVC Failed
    LRAND Everything froze

I reran it once and it froze on the first (MATS+) test.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If both of your 512 sticks worked either when alone or in conjunction with a 256 in the other slot, it would seem to be a motherboard problem so you might need to to stick with the 768 you found works. I wouldn't personally buy more memory in these circumstnaces in case they also failed to work. How old is that board?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!