1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers after format/Reinstall

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nanino, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

I have two partitions in my Compaq notebook: C-where the OS is installed and D-all my documents;W98SE,IE6SP1. I never had any previous experience of formatting a partition,so,in order to be ready for the worst,i was wondering :
    -if you format just one partition of two and then reinstall the OS,do you need to manually reinstall all drivers as well ?or can you just save them with a special program(like WDBDriver) in a folder in the other partition and then copy/paste in the windows/system or related folder?
    -same question if i reinstall after deleting from DOS the windows and programs folders,what should i do with drivers?

i am asking this as i have all kind of original OS cds but dont have any diskettes of the drivers,apart those of the printer , USB modem and those inside the W98SE CD or 98 or 98SE Upgrade. Do i need anything else?thanks
    nanino

2. mobo

mobo

all that is nessecary to format would be the partition that the operating system will be installed in..As for the drivers, what you could do is identify the motherboard chipset then download those and burn to cd for future usage. Some drivers may have to be installed like sound and/ or video. If you have a motherboard cd then you are good to go.

3. raybro

raybro

I've used the WDBDriver for this purpose because many of the drivers on CD's are outdated while the drivers currently installed are the latest versions. This way I don't have to go though the hassel of finding the latest drivers and downloading them (again). Of course, you could just store the newest driver downloads ona seperate partition and accomplish the same basic goal, but WDBDriver has them all nice and organized, plus you will not forget any of the drivers.

Storing the WDBDriver folder on the second partition works just fine. In fact, I always have my driver backup folder located on a seperate partition. It would have no value to have it on the same partition. I may have to format in an emergency situation.

BTW.. Here's the program I use:
    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm

4. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

That's exactly the program i've used to store my drivers in a separate D partition,WDB!
    What bothers me,not having done it before,is : after the format and reinstalling from the OS Cd how do i practically proceed?
    Shall i reinstall manually or does the WDB program offer a solution for it?

5. raybro

raybro

No WBD doesn't do it for you. After you have installed windows, go to Device Manager and look for items with yellow (!). They will be the ones for which you need drivers. One at a time, expand (click the + box) until you get to the specific device with the yellow (!). Right click the item and select "Properties" then the driver tab. Now click the "update driver" button. Click "Next" in the next 2 windows, then select "Browse" and navigate to the driver backup folder and finally to the folder for the device you are working with. Now proceed with the steps to install the driver.

6. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

Raybro,thanks a lot,what you suggested is EXACTLY what i was looking for,hence its copied for future use.
    Up to now i had only reinstalled over Windows and never done a clean one,so i am grateful you filled the last gap.Cheers nanino

7. raybro

raybro

I assume you know you will need to reinstall most of your program applications too. Even if they are installed on your second partition, creating a fresh install of the OS partition includes a brand spankin new Registry. Programs that have Registry keys (like Word, Quicken, etc) will not function without those keys. Reinstall of the program is the best way to put them back in. You can do the reinstall over the existing installation and the process will establish the required Registry keys. Some smaller programs (like utilities) do not have Registry keys. I've found the best way to find out is to just try the program and see if it works.

If you don't have ypur Program Applications installed on the second partition, you will abviously have to reinstall them new again. You may want to consider installing them on the second partition. The major advantage is you don't lose your settings for individual programs. This pays off especially in progs like Quicken. Some of the M$ apps wont let you, but the majority wont konw the difference.

My OS (C: ) partition is only 2.4 Gb in size and contains only 1.5 Gb of data. Defrag is a snap. Usually less than 2 minutes, and sometimes less than 1 minute. My progs and files (E: )partition, on the other hand, is 12Gb in size and contains 8Gb of data.

8. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

Most kind of you to make these specifications Ray,appreciate it.
    Yes i am aware about the programs reinstalling and the possible D/E location,matter of fact even now i have many progs in my other D partition.I must say,however,that sometimes i thought i had made a useless move and that maybe it would have been simpler to put all the added ones in a special folder on C,nearer to the OS,but this is just theoretical.
    I am planning to make a windows and Programs reinstall as soon as i get back another machine in a week time,then my dear old(Armada 1700,year1999) Compaq notebook will be only used sparingly,but i will keep it in order and updated,ready to be used on line-it was a grand servant(hard like a mule) for years now and i'll always keep it going.Actually even though its a PII only it only looses the match with a PIV for tiny fractions when used when DSL.Naturally i've always obeyed the rule of not downloading for the sake of it,using the 'lightest' AVs and firewalls,keeping the system as light as possible and cleaning after every session and defragging regularly.Sorry i was carried away....
    To complete my idea i plan to delete windows and programs from DOS and proceed from there,stuffing perhaps later all relevant Updates from the Catalog in D,just in case Microsoft wont let even have the updates for W98SE from January.On the other hand i have no choice for this notebook as i cant install XP (not enough Mhz,min req. is 500),apart from Linux based OSs.
    my best regards Ray
    nanino

9. raybro

raybro

Regarding the Microsoft updates, patches and such for Win98. What I did was download the complete files from the corporate site and burn them to CD so I can have them available when and if needed. That way I can always have my good ol Win98SE as updated and current as possible when the time comes to do a clean install.

If you are interested, here is a link to the Win98 corporate site. Be aware, you need to know exactly what you need as the site has everything ever released on it and some of it is not really needed in all situations. I figured out what I needed by going to the regular Windows update site where it tells you your download history and what else you should have. I also ran a scan with Belarc Advisor ( http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html ) which (among other things) tells me all the updates and patches I currently have installed. Put all that info together and it's pretty simple to figure out what you need from the corporate site.

The link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

BTW... I find it fascinating that I can sit in my living room in Santa Barbara, California in the USofA and correspond with a person on matters of mutual interest in Milan, Italy as though he were across the street... AND it costs nothing extra to do so.

Ain't computers wonderful :D :cool:

10. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

Nice idea the Belarc download,and,as regards the upgrades from Microsoft i have them all jotted down in good order and the general list is saved on my documents-so i'll do exactly as you did and download those i need and then burn them to CD for future use. I'll tell you more: i am even considering the idea of installing W98SE on a new P4,512 Ram,80gyga pc. This sounds as a mad idea as XP is the natural choice,but with all the Blasters raging around maybe one could buy a year of tranquillity...at least there is less stress about patches&updates,ahahah! fact is i dont need all the graphic innovations of XP at the moment,only a good live video capability-which is perfectly assured by WMP 7.1 with 9.0 codecs now,and could be even better with WMP 9.0 for W98SE.

I definetely agree with you about the marvellousness of the pc and the fact we are communicating at great distance...lets hope it contributes for the better!...in our instance i think it did!
    by for now,yours nanino

11. raybro

raybro

Hi nanino.. I dislike coming across as a know it all... BUT (there's always a BUT with an opening line like that)... :rolleyes: :D

I notice you use Windows Media Player. You might want to give Irfanview a look. It's free and very versitile. I use it for video and still photos. There are plug-ins available for just about any format you can think of. I haven't used WMP since I got it. Check it out here:

http://www.irfanview.com/

I'm in agreement with you about XP. I've been using Win98SE for many years now and I'm very comfortable with it. What I like more than anything else is the ability to customize it to my needs and tastes. XP users will probably bristle at that and say XP is even better in that regard. My argument is simply, I already know how to do such stuff with Win98SE and I'm not particularly eager to start learning all over again. As you can see by my system specs below, I don't have what one would call a state of the art computer. I am, however, the local guy friends and neighbors call on for help when something goes wrong with their PC's. One has XP Home and another has XP Pro. The more I learn about XP in helping them, the more I don't want it for myself. Maybe that will change with time or perhaps I'll have no choice. But until that happens, I'll stick with Win98SE.

Good talking with you and I hope I'm not being to presumptuous in offering unsolicited recommendations. As you can probably imagine at this point, I've got a lot of progs I've tried. Any questions... feel free. :D

12. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

sorry for being so late in replying,but went out of town for 36 hrs.
    Ray,thanks,you're really helpful and let me tell you i understand and subscribe to your attitude towards XP!
    I dont doubt about Irfanview, perhaps in the future, now i need WMP because there is a site i use daily which requires nothing else than WMP for watching live videos. I'd like to watch some BBC news videos once in a while,but i cant because they require RealPlayer and i dont have it now, i had it in the past then became mad trying to uninstall the octopus,i succeeded but leaving a lot of wounded clusters in the battlefield...
    should i need any more detail i'll pm you,if you dont mind.
    i thank you very much Ray coz your messages were very inspiring to me in a sort of grey period i was going through.
    take care nanino

13. raybro

raybro

Hi again nanino.. For sure RealPlayer can be a pain... I've loaded it only one time a while back. Decided the best way to rid myself of it was to format and do a clean install of the OS. Of course, other factors played into that choice, but Real Player was the deciding factor.

By all means, feel free to PM me if you for any details you would like to know.

It's gratifying to know I could be of some small help. Grey periods CAN be difficult. Been there, done that. The only good thing about them is coming out of em a better person. Adversity really can make one stronger, the key is not letting it beat you. Easy to say. Can be really hard to do.

Hang in. Good talking with you. :) :cool:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice