1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers Backup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scgtman, Sep 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scgtman

scgtman Thread Starter

I would like to format my hard drive and re-install Windows 98, but I don't have the install disks for my hardware. Is there any way for me to backup my driver files to reinstall them later?

2. frenat

frenat

I don't know if you can backup you current drivers but it might be better if you just downloaded new ones. Check the different manufacturer's sites for your hardware. Chances are, most of your stuff will have updated drivers available.

------------------
    Frenat
    ------------------
    Eagles may fly high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

3. spingoogL

spingoogL

If you want my advise:

Take some time and write down the Manufacturer and model number of all your pci, isa and your agp cards. Got to their respective web-sites and download the latest drivers for your cards and save them to floppy disk. If the files are too big, then use the windows back-up program to span then on multiple disks. If your Windows back-up program is not present then you can install it this way: START-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs-> Windows Setup-> System Tools -> back-up. (BTW this option is not available with Windows ME).

Now for your Windows install. I recommend installing from your hard drive. It will take up 200 mb of extra space on your hard drive, but the end result is very convenient. If on the other hand, you are hurting for hard drive space, then you might not want to do this.

After you have formatted your drive, copy the contents of your win98 folder into a c:\win98\ folder and run setup from there. If you don't know how to do that at the command line here is how.

C: -> mkdir win98 -> cd win98

now go to the CD-ROM drive probably D drive.

D: -> cd win98 -> copy *.* c:

now go back to your c drive.

C: -> setup

I know I answered more then your question, but I particularly like installing Windows this way. You never have to put the Windows 98 CD in the drive anymore after making changes, and it installs a little bit faster.

When this is all done, you might have to reinstall the windows back-up software like before. After that I recommend making a folder and calling c:\driver\ then enter folders for video, audio, network, monitor and so forth. Put the backed-up files in their respective directories,(some of the driver files are rather cryptic, and easy to lose track of, this way keeps things organized). Proceed to uncompress all of your compressed driver files. (you might have to download WinZip as well for this, but most are self-extracting.)

Now we can proceed with driver installation. Right-Click the mouse on My Computer -> properties -> Device Manager.

There is a list of all your hardware in various categories. Expand whatever tree and select the device that you want to install drivers for then:

Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Specify the location of the driver (Advanced) -> Next> -> Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location... -> Next> -> Have Disk ->
    Browse to your c:\driver\* directory and and find the folder with the appropriate *.inf file.
    There should be a list of devices that the driver supports, if not then select, 'Show all Hardware'. Pick the device that YOU have , and your done. Reboot and repeat the process for all devices.

------------------
    spingoogL
    [email protected]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33827