1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers, CD-Rom's & WIndows, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cman429, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cman429

Cman429 Thread Starter

Hello all--

My daughter wants her first computer so I bought a friends old laptop, a CTX 700series EZBook. He reformatted before he gave it to me and has no disks for it.

In reformatting, the cd drive no longer reads. I can't reinstall windows 98 without the cd rom drive.

I've spent about 4 hours online, reading and searching and trying everything and am supremely frustrated.

I have dos restored and get the computer to boot up. I get as far as the "3 choices, 1) Install win 98 2) boot w/cd support 3) boot w/out cd support" screen but its a dead end...

If I chose 1 or 2, it says "No device found, driver missing oemcd001" and terminates.

Like I said, I spent hours learning dos commands and finding driver files so I'm pretty sure I've loaded this oem thing on to the c drive. It says the driver is by Oak systems (the cd doesn't have a company brand but is and atapi ide I believe) and I have downloaded a 100 Oak drivers from the different sites on the net.

Nothing is fixing the problem. Can somebody please help out with what file I need, what to do with it and so forth so that I can get this cdrom booted up?

Thanks for your help. Best,
    Chris V

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Sorry to have to ask, but do you have any reason to believe the CD ROM worked before he gave it to you?

Is the drive recognized in the bios?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Cruise to www.bootdisk.com and download the MS-DOS bootdisk with CD support. Boot with that and it should recognize the CD if nothing is broken in the hardware.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

If you have Windows98 on another computer, use its "Create Star up Disk" option under control panel/Add remove Programs.

DOS is not required, and you should remove it or reformat the HD.

The Start up Floppy that is made, has its own format command.

For faster installation and less hassle, I'd copy the WIN98 (directory) from the CD-ROM to the Hard disk, and install it from the HD. So when something changes on the computer, it never asks "insert CD-ROM".

1 - go to C: drive, type in: MD WIN98
    2 - go to the CD-ROM drive, type in CD WIN98 (this should put you in the Windows98 setup directory which is about 120mb)
    3 - type in: COPY *.* c:/WIN98 (this copies that data to HD)
    4 - eject CD-ROM, go to the C: drive and type CD WIN98 to go into the directory.
    5 - type in: SETUP

Should take about 20mins to install. (on todays PCs, Win98 installs in about 6mins, WindowsXP about 20~40, WinXP from a name brand - first Start up - about 30mins).

-------
    Make sure the CD-ROM drive is all the way inside the notebook. If the Win98 boot floppy can't find the CD-ROM drive, then it could be damaged... or its some odd-ball drive, its not external is it?

-------

An OLD notebook nightmare: CD-ROM or FLoppy can be used at one time and not HOT swappable! CD-ROM drive doesn't support booting either. ARGH! But by coping the boot floppy to the HD, and some coaxing, I got it to read the CD good enough to perform the above.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should also see if the BIOS supports a BOOT FROM CD-ROM option. It may be possible to boot the computer using the Windows 98 CD-ROM(which is bootable) and thereby there may be no need for a Floppy disk or Cd-ROM dirver.

Also is this CD-ROM an external drive?

6. Cman429

Cman429 Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for all the help guys. I will try some of the suggestions now. But to answer the questions:

The cd drive does work. My friend used the computer up until the day he gave it to me and he wouldn't lie. I think it just doesn't know how to boot the cd from DOS (I've seen elsewhere that others have had this problem).

It is internal, although removable. Its a notebook and you can pull the cd out and swap it with battery (or you have to pull the disk drive out, one or the other).

Bios doesn't have a boot from CD command.

I can't boot from the cd because the computer keeps saying "Drive not found." In DOS when I try to change to D: or E: directory, it says invalid drive specification, device not found."

I'll try what has beem suggested and post if it works. If not, I appreciate all the help and anybody with other ideas (besides throw the computer against the wall), I appreciate all the help.

Thanks again. Best-
    Chris V

7. Cman429

Cman429 Thread Starter

Okay, here's where I'm at.

I tried the suggestions. Using the bootdisk, I was able to get only so far. Here's what I mean..

I copied files like mscdex and oakcdrom on to my harddrive.

I start up the computer w/ the bootdisk and the win98 disk in the cd drive. Both seem to be active (they are whirring, making noise).

I get choices 1 boot from hard drive 2 boot from cd

I choose cd since harddrive just turns me to dos.

THen I get the WIndows 98, 3 choices of Install from cd, start w/cd support and start w/out cd.

If i choose 1 or 2, the disk starts whirrlling and I have a little "status" bar on the laptop which indicates disk is in use (wasn't doing this before).

It says driver by oak systems, then says No driver found OEMCD001, device not found...

Then a whole bunch of ATapi messages show up "atapi ver 3.43, atapi version 2.34, etc..

Finally I end up with a screen stating Device driver not found: OEMCD001 No valid cd rom drivers selected.

And i'm back at the dos prompt.

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for all the help. Best

Chris V

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Boot to DOS with the disk from www.bootdisk.com and see if you can do a directory of the W98 CD. If so:

1) Copy the WIN98 directory from the CD to the root of C:

XCOPY D:\WIN98 C:\WIN98 /S

2) Change directory to the directory previously copied:

C:
    CD \WIN98

3) Run windows 98 setup:

SETUP

It should proceed with the setup using the files from the hard disk, and then you'll also have them there in the future when you make a change and it wants the source files.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice