1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers Corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bukithed2, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bukithed2

bukithed2 Thread Starter

After installing System Mechanic 6 and running total care package my dvd and cd rom drivers are listed as either corrupted or missing the drive is not listed in "my computer" but it is listed in my start up bios. I used device manager to try to update drivers to no avail, tried uninstalling ,restarting and letting new hardware wizard fix, it cant find drivers. I have a program which I downloaded from PC World about two months back called DriverBack that makes a copy of all drivers in your computer I have a copy on disc and a copy in " my documents" when I try to install new drivers through "update drivers" in device manager I can get into "my documents' under browse but the file wont open so I can search the driverback program I have copied on my computer and when I choose the whole file it wont let me activate to use for searching. I have been to my manufacturers web site and downloaded the old driver but it says it cant find the drive to install drivers into .

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can try removing the secondary IDE channel in Device Manager and rebooting to let Windows "discover" and load the drivers

3. bukithed2

bukithed2 Thread Starter

I tried removing secondary IDE channel and restarting computer it found new channel and restarted again but didn't really fix problem but it did help to solve ,After reboot this time there was an error code 39 which I googled and found a way to fix problem at another forum site http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272544 were it told me to use regedt32.exe to delete my upper and lower filter values under a specific hot key and tthis solved my problem so thank you for your initial help in this matter and Happy Holidays.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Glad you got going again . . I wonder what is going around to cause that so often . . I had two yesterday . .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice