1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drivers for gateway notebook mx6635b windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iyah, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    iyah:

This is what happens when you "downgrade" to an older Windows version or "upgrade" to a newer Windows version without first confirming there are drivers for all of the devices in the computer for the Windows version you're wanting to use.

If you're insistent on staying with Windows 7, you're going to need to buy and use an external USB wireless adapter that supports Windows 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2. iyah

iyah Thread Starter

hi, thank you..

emm, the gateway disk i have for xp, may be damagged. don't load xp on properly.
    and i did do a little search to make sure the drivers were avaliable.

i have a product key for xp, do you know where i can get a copy to install it fresh.

kind regards.

iyah

3. iyah

iyah Thread Starter

hi, i did do a search and found that my notebook was supported.

i'm not attached to windows 7, will try to go back to xp in the mean time will install unbunto, not sure what version though, any help on the matter will be welcomed.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're going to revert from Windows 7 back to Windows XP, you'll need to boot from the Windows XP CD, delete all current partitions, create a new C partition, format that new C partition in the NTFS file system, then install Windows XP.

Depending on whether you're going to reinstall Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro, here are 2 good pictorial and instructional guides for doing it:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. iyah

iyah Thread Starter

hi thanks..

the truble i'm having is finding a xp instaltion disk, as i already have the licence for xp home.

please advise.

and what about ubuntu?

:)

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you have the 25-digit product code for Windows XP Home Edition, you can use someone else's Windows XP Home Edition CD to reinstall it.

I know nothing about Ubuntu.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. iyah

iyah Thread Starter

hi, thank yes i do have the product key under my laptop, now i just need to find an xp home install disk.

thank you :)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

I learned a long time ago the value of saving and taking care of my CD's/DVD's for Windows and Office and other programs. I've seen too many people who lose them or damage them and then need to do a reinstall and don't have them.

9. rupertm2

rupertm2

Hi, I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my MX6635b and it's running without any major issue so far. Something isn't quite right with the video driver because I can't run any of the inbuilt screen savers but that's all. Either I don't have the correct drivers or the video card is too old.

I can upload what drivers I have used so far if you would like. I have always found this laptop to be a problem with regards drivers, they were never well supported from the beginning. The recovery cd with it was corrupt and customer support were pretty useless, saying that the laptop itself has done alright.

10. rupertm2

rupertm2

The graphics are working fine, display resolution is fine, almost certain the OS is running better (although I don't have benchmarks to prove). Wireless, trackpad, LAN, USB ports all working fine. As Etaf already mentioned, here is the official line from Intel on the 915GM chipset:

Are you looking for graphics drivers for Windows 7*?
    The Microsoft Windows 7* operating system (OS) supports two different graphics driver models: the Windows* Display Driver Model (WDDM 1.0 & 1.1) and the older Windows* XP Driver Model (XPDM). WDDM drivers provide the 3D graphical user interface experience to users. XPDM drivers provide an interface that visually resembles the Windows XP user interface and do not support Windows 7 OS premium features such as the Microsoft Aero* user interface.

Only XPDM drivers** are available for the following older Intel® graphics controllers:

Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family
    Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
    Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
    Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller
    Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller
    Intel® 82830M Graphics Controller
    Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller
    Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    rupertm2 - I have moved your post back to this thread - apologies for thinking you where asking a new question - did not realise you where responding to this thread - i will close the new thread I created

12. rupertm2

rupertm2

Thanks Etaf, sorry for the confusion.

Here's my final piece on the MX6635b / Windows 7 compatibility issue.

I have a full functioning set of drivers on my MX6635b which can be obtained directly from Gateway.com (with the exception of the display drivers - get latest XP ones from Intel or Microsoft Update). Windows 7 includes the remaining drivers not shown on Gateway website.

I have achieved full resolution on the display (1280x800) by downloading the Intel 915GM XP drivers and extracting them into a folder. Manually update the display drivers and point them to your extracted folder. If it doesn't work first time then delete the display drivers then restart your machine. And if you try to use included 'Setup' it won't work either, says OS is not supported.

Please be clear, you will never have use of the Windows7 'Aero' function as this is not supported by the XPDM drivers made by Intel for the 915GM. They would need to make WDDM drivers which they claim the 915GM cannot handle so you need 945GM or later.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice