1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers For Paper Port; File Won't Self Decompress

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pb3046, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

I am new, so if I have this in the wrong forum, please move.

I have a Brother MFC 3240C that I have used for some time without problems. Somehow the printer stopped working and the Brother tech walked me through setting it up again. I changed ISPs as it kept saying file was corrupted and I couldn't get a clean download. When I put in the disk for the new ISP, the installer tried to install the paper port and came up with the error message regarding ISS script and .msi was too old on the machine, and I tried several different msi drivers and finally just restored the system. I no longer get that error message, but neither the Paper Port or the ISP will install.

I have a temp connection to my ISP and everytime I put in the ISP installation disk, same thing happens. Brother told me to reinstall it without Paper Port and sent me a link to a remover, and I found another remover. No help. So I decided to reinstall the whole thing with Paper Port included to put Paper Port back on in hopes the ISP disk would not try to cue that installer for the Paper Port.

I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled it, and Paper Port did not install. I went to the Brother website to download the latest software and drivers for my machine, uninstalling the current drivers first. Now I have a zip self decompressing file with that download on my desktop that will not self decompress. I tried using qzip and powerarc with no results, unless I am using them incorrecty.

Can anyone help on this ? Either the immediate problem or the whole problem? If you could give me step by step clear instructions I can follow them, and I am not that much of a beginner, but still a beginner.

2. Sponsor

3. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

I sent the files to My Documents, and also to the Desktop, and I don't see them anywhere. I tried running 3240inst.3exe and Windows could not find it.

I did reinstall my disk and it looked for the drivers, and I checked to include the paperport driver, and that seemed to run correctly . BUT - in my Scansoft file I have no .exe file; I have lots of Paper Port .dll and a VizPrint, and those are new, but there is no .exe file anywhere. But Paper Port is not listed under programs, or Brother.

I am rebooting it where necessary.

Please help!

4. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

I have now the PaperPort folder under Program Files/ScanSoft. and I have the page viewer on the program Start menu.

But when I click on Page Viewer, it says Paper Port is not installed properly and to reinstall.
    Any ideas?

5. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

I have Paper Port up under my start/programs menu, but when I click on it, it gives error messages, then Paper Port comes up. When I close it, it says it didn't clean up and system resources could be used up.

I tried inserting the ISP disk again, since I got this far, but the Windows Installer engages, and Windows configures Paper Port.

I have gotten this far by repairing it from the disk and also from the Add/Remove Programs menu. Is anyone available to help me?

6. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

Paper Port Problems Still As Above. Can Anyone Help???

7. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

From another forum, I discovered Windows clean up utility. It worked great and took it right off and now I am able to use disks without problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/569961