1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers for Toshiba Satellite

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Woodwenwood, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woodwenwood

Woodwenwood Thread Starter

I have just installed Windows 7 and according to the device manager i am missing drivers for the following;
    Ethernet driver, CD Rom Driver driver, Network Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus and an unknown device.
    I have been on the Toshiba website but without success.
    All suggestions welcome!
    Many thanks !

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

What's the complete model number of that Toshiba Satellite laptop?
    (2 sets of characters separated by a dash comprises the complete model number)

What Windows 7 version(Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) and bit number(32, 64) did you install, and does it include Service Pack 1?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Before you install Windows 7 SP1, you should identify the primary devices(chipset, graphics, audio, wireless, ethernet, etc.) for that laptop and then download and save the drivers for them.
    Once Windows 7 SP1 is installed, you should install the chipset driver before installing any other drivers.
    That allows Windows 7 SP1 to properly detect and configure that laptop's devices.

You also should read and print off the Windows 7 SP1 install and update guide which is located in the "Windows 7" section.
    If you follow it properly, it'll save you a lot of time and grief.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. Woodwenwood

Hi Frank,
    I even went on Toshiba's website and searched for the model number but got no joy.
    The model number is L850 - 162, the part number is PSKDGE -01100NMD.
    I put on Windows 7 home premium, 32 bit, but not sure about service pack 1 unless it installed it off the windows disk.

Thanks for taking time out to reply,
    Regards Steve.

5. flavallee

The Toshiba Satellite L850-162 laptop appears to have sold in the U.K. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Assuming that laptop was purchased in the U.K., go HERE and then navigate through this menu and then click "Search".

Capture.JPG

The list of Windows 7 32-bit drivers for that laptop will appear.

According to what you said in post #1, it appears that laptop needs the chipset and ethernet(LAN) and wireless drivers.

Note: If Service Pack 1 hasn't been installed, that needs to be done first before installing the drivers.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Woodwenwood likes this.
  6. Woodwenwood

Hi Frank,
    Ive been on that site looking for drivers and they are not listed like how they are below?
    I need Ethernet driver, Network Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, and Universal Serial Bus.
    I have also installed sp1 and that hasn't made any difference at all so I am now thinking about putting Windows xp on,
    Will this correct the problem I have.
    Thanks pal.
    Regards Steve .

7. flavallee

I've already navigated through the Windows 7 32-bit drivers list at that site, and the chipset and ethernet(LAN) and wireless drivers are all listed there.
    You probably need some "hands on" help from someone who knows how to select and download and save and install the needed drivers for you.

If you're thinking about installing Windows XP in that laptop, you're looking forward to even more difficulty.

8. Woodwenwood

Hi Frank,
    I just want to say a massive thanks for your help and time on the laptop issue,
    I have sorted it now by putting a shout out on Facebook and a friend of mine came to the rescue.
    He burnt me a copy of this disk which is full of drivers and all I did was run it and it found all the drivers(18) and installed them for me.

Thanks again Frank, your a star.

9. flavallee

I'm glad to hear you got the issue resolved. (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184859