1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers Missing After Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by 3vwcd31y64, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3vwcd31y64

3vwcd31y64 Thread Starter

Hi, - I used the process outlined in this link: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp
    to make a clean install from Windows XP Home Media Edition to Windows Vista Home Premium. <<ACER 5100 notebook, 1G ram, 1.6Ghz, 110G HDD>> Until I found Paul Thurrott's web site, it looked like I was going to have to actually upgrade and bring along all that mess from 3 years of using XP. But, following the instructions Paul gave, I actually did get a clean install. The software was 10% off too from Circuit City. Too bad about them, huh ?

Well, the clean went well, but afterwards when I repeated the process inputting the product key, right near the end, maybe the 3rd or 4th restart, the ACER froze up. I did it again after first deleting the partition and recreating it (BootIt NG). 2nd time it installed fine. Took about 30 min for the clean install, and 1 hour 5 min for the upgrade. The only thing I did differently the 2nd time was to change the boot sequence back to HDD, CDROM.

Anyway, the PC is fine. Wireless works and I've done some Internet browsing. But, in device manager, I have 3 instances of PCI Flash mem alarm, and 1 instance of a USB2.0 camera alarm. Minor but Vista keeps reminding me to install drivers. I don't have the hardware, so I don't know why this has happened. Anyone know ? What to do at this point ?

Thanks !
    RDL

2. 3vwcd31y64

3vwcd31y64 Thread Starter

Solved by getting two drivers from ACER's web site. It wasn't obvious which ones I needed by the description in Device Manager but after Googling found several folks who had the same thing happen to them and also found which drivers were needed.

RDL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice