1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drivers missing or corrupted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katmariegrey, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katmariegrey

katmariegrey Thread Starter

I have an internal CD-ROM, internal CD-RW and an external DVD-RW that are all showing the same problem. Everything was working fine then all three drives stopped working. There is power going to them, only the CD-ROM shows up in Windows Explorer, and all three have a yellow circle with an exclamation mark in it in the Device Manager. Our IT guy at work said all he did was install a service pack. Everything was fine before he worked on the computer. He is out of town and I have no functioning drives other than the hard drive. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives after rebooting the computer. I have tried to update the drivers but don't know enough about doing that to do anything other than click on Update Drivers in the Device Manager and it tells me that the drivers are fine. Yet when I reinstall the drives I get an error message that says there was a problem installing the drivers and they are either missing or corrupted.

2. D-Berd

D-Berd

Go into device manager and right click on each optical drive and select uninstall. then reboot and see if this fixes the issue.

3. katmariegrey

I've already tried that three times. About the only thing I haven't tried is opening up the computer and physically unplugging the internal drives. I have unplugged the external DVD-RW drive as well as uninstalling it and it still doesn't fix the problem. I've tried to find updated drivers to install but couldn't find any.

4. sangamam

sangamam

What is the cd rom make and model no

5. D-Berd

D-Berd

There could be an issue with power, do the doors open when you press the button

6. katmariegrey

Yes, the doors open, the power lights are on. It seems like there's nothing wrong with the drives themselves; the computer just can't seem to load the drivers.

7. D-Berd

D-Berd

What operating system are you running?

8. katmariegrey

Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 2350 Pentium 4

9. D-Berd

D-Berd

There could be an issue with the the HD, This tool will check the HD for errors.

Go to Start and then to Run
    Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
    Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
    This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
    It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
    DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS.

This can take several hours to complete.
    When completed it will boot the system back into windows. post back when complete.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice