1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Drivers Needed for a Clean Install of Win 7 on a Dell Inspir

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SteveBernstein, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveBernstein

SteveBernstein Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I've recently inherited a Dell Inspiron (N7110) laptop with Windows 7 Home installed (now Windows 10 after Microsoft decided to trick me into installing its OS) that I would like to revert back to Windows 7 Pro. To do this, I plan on doing a clean install with an OEM Windows 7 Pro disk that I purchased from Dell. I've delt with OEM disks before -- on a Windows XP desktop, for instance -- but never where I've had to physically add the drivers myself, so that's why I'm here. I've had time to check on Dell's website where they have all sorts of drivers available for my laptop, I'm just not sure which ones to install.

Thanks in advance.

List of drivers available for my laptop on Dell's website:
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/US/en/04/product-support/servicetag/9FWYZP1/drivers

Technical Specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4010 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1813 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461837 MB, Free - 397708 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YH79Y
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. Moawia

Moawia

First Name:
    Moawia
    I usally use this software : http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

it always does the trick , you just have to sit there and it will do all the work .

to use the manufacture website , you have to know the specifications of you pc parts , like processor"Intel , AMD ...etc " , sound and network cards "Intel , Realtek" , graphic card "Invidia , Realtek , AMD " .

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Steve:

Ignore the advice and webpage link in post #2.

What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 laptop?

Since you're planning to do a clean install of Windows 7, you might want to look at and make use of my Windows 7 install guide in the Windows 7 forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Frank is correct; never use a third party driver program. Your link shows two different usb3 drivers. You need to input your service tag# so you get only the drivers for your hardware.
    Normally you do an install in the following order;
    1 Install the os
    2 Update to the latest service pack [for win7 sp1] If your install disk already has sp1, then skip this step
    3 Install chipset/motherboard driver. This is called an inf driver for intel systems
    4 Install sound, nic, wireless, touchpad drivers
    5 Install video driver
    6 If all is well, activate windows and make a backup image. Store this on an external, NAS, network share, whatever. If you ever need a "Clean" install, it takes all of 5~10min to restore the image; clean install done.
    7 Do windows update and install ALL critical updates. Repeat until there are no more updates to install. Note this is going to take a while for an operating system that is now 7+ years old.

Bambinoo likes this.
  5. SteveBernstein

Thank you all for responding.

@flavallee
    Service tag number: 9FWYZP1
    Express service code: 20553413941

@crjdriver
    I already did that. In fact, the link I gave was for the service tag number above.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then install drivers in the order referenced.

7. SteveBernstein

@crjdriver
    What about the drivers in applications, drivers for OS deployment, removable storage, serial ATA and system utilities? You want me to install those too?
    What if two drivers have the same name? Do I install them both? What if the drivers are optional, should I install them anyway? I don't assume you want me to reinstall the BIOS.

Also, how are you supposed to install these updates? Are you supposed to put the drivers on a USB drive beforehand? Or are you supposed to use the ethernet port on your computer to be able to go directly on Dell's website and then download them from there?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, download ALL of the drivers you are going to need along with whatever utilities you use ie ccleaner, AV software, irfanview, whatever and sp1 [if you need it]
    Start with the drivers I listed. If you need any others ie you have yellow marks in device mgr, then download those when you need them [After you finish the install]

Just be sure to install the chipset driver first then the rest can really be installed in any order.
    Be sure to reboot when prompted.

9. SteveBernstein

@crjdriver

OK, I'm going to make a backup of the drivers already installed, just in case.

Will my ethernet port still work after I install the OS -- so that I can directly go on Dell's website to download all the drivers -- or will I have to use the drivers on the backup disk?

10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You may have to install Network Card (Nic) drivers after a clean install. Yet windows 7 does come with various Nic drivers. If I were you I'd download the important drivers before installing and store them on a external media.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This makes no sense; you have win10. Why would you make a backup of drivers on the system IF you intend on installing another operating system???
    Do what I posted. Download the referenced drivers and put them on a flash drive, external, whatever; include the service [if needed] and whatever utilities you use.

If your system originally came with win7, it should have shipped with a driver disk with the win7 drivers. Do understand that the drivers on that disk are most likely very outdated. While you could use them, it makes much more sense to do what I posted; download the newer drivers and put them on a flash drive.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is YOUR Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 laptop.
    It shipped in June 2011 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
    Your log shows your laptop running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, so the upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit was made in some other manner.

These are the primary Windows 7 64-bit drivers that you should download and save:
    Intel HM67 Chipset
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030/Advanced-N 6230
    Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet
    As crjdriver has already advised you, the Intel chipset driver needs to be installed first before installing any of the other drivers.
    That allows the Windows operating system to properly detect and configure the laptop's devices.

13. SteveBernstein

@crjdriver
    When Windows 10 installed itself without my informed consent, I don't remember having to reinstall new drivers for Windows 10. Because of that, I somehow thought the drivers would still be intact.

Look, I'm not a techie like you guys. I can draw the structure of isopropyldimethylamine and I'm fairly proficient at Microsoft Excel, but I've never done this before.

And to answer Frank's question, when I first inherited my laptop it originally came with Windows 7 Home edition, so I had a friend install Windows 7 Pro on it. That was until Microsoft tricked me into "upgrading".

I'm now gonna do what you said above. I'll let you know how it works out.

14. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    WIndows 10 generally uses drivers supplied by Microsoft. Al though some manufacturers have WIn 10 drivers you need to manually download those. But as this isn't the case here. You want to revert back to WIn7 64bit. You have to, as other members stated, download the appropriate drivers. Save them on an external media for use after your "clean Install"
    And, again, it can not be emphasized enough, always install the "Chipset" drivers first. Before you do anything else.

Good luck.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That explains how you were able to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro.
    It's impossible for Windows 7 Home Premium to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    It would've upgraded to Windows 10 Home.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice