1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Drivers needed to do a clean install of Win7 on HP desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SteveBernstein, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveBernstein

SteveBernstein Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium from scratch on a 2010(2009?) HP p6500z desktop (64-bit) for a friend who says the computer might have a virus. I've already did this before, but never for somebody else, only for myself, so I want to make sure I have all the right information before proceeding.

If I'm correct, one is supposed to install drivers in the following order:
    1) Install the OS
    2) Install Service Pack 1(if not included in install disc)
    3) Install chipset/motherboard driver
    4) Install sound
    5) Install network interface card or nic
    6) Install video driver
    7) Install all Windows updates
    Feel free to correct the order if you think I'm wrong.

The processor is an AMD Sempron 140 Processor 2.70 GHz.

The only thing is I can't find the chipset/motherboard driver listed on HP's website:
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...3/model/4242485#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2

Also keep in mind that this was a CTO deskop, which stands for configure to order, where you can choose the networking, sound, etc..., so I'm not sure which drivers to install.

Would anybody be so kind as to provide a list of links of drivers, in the order they need to be installed?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would simply install 7 first, it will probably have most of the drivers built-in. Then look for any missing ones, we can help with that if necessary.

If SP1 isn't already on the disk you use you can install that first of all though.

3. SteveBernstein

Will what you say work with this disk?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291853492847
    I don't think the disk I purchased is a recovery disk, with all the original applications that came pre-installed on the computer, including all of the crapware, the disk contains the OS.

Also, how come when I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my computer, I had to install all of these drivers? The laptop where I reinstalled the OS originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium. Maybe it's because I used a Windows 7 Pro disk.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That DVD does look too good to be true but at your Ebay link it says you need a Windows key which should be on a COA sticker on your laptop, possibly under the battery.

It all depends on the motherboard really and what drivers it needs. All I can say is if it was me I'd install 7 first and then get any missing drivers afterwards. This does assume you can use the Internet on this or another computer to download drivers.

5. SteveBernstein

Could the reason that the DVD that I ordered looks too good to be true be that it doesn't include a Windows key with the disk?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It's just very cheap. As I said you can use the key on your computer, hopefully the DVD does have the 7 install files on it.

7. SteveBernstein

Can you recommend a link to a legitimate Windows 7 Home Premium installation disk? Maybe legitimate is not the right word.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  9. SteveBernstein

You're a life saver. I'm surprised you're doing this for free. Thank you for your generosity in taking time out of you're own day to volunteer to help people like me and others. The reason I haven't checked the link from Microsoft your provided before, is because I thought Microsoft was only in the business of selling Windows 10 license keys.

It's on the side of the computer.

10. SteveBernstein

I just entered the key on the side of the computer into the Microsoft link you provided and got this error:
    The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.
    What now?

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I was afaid of that, your key is for an OEM Windows 7 not the Retail 7 which is the only type of key that will get that download.

Try the Ebay DVD, it might have the install files on it.

12. SteveBernstein

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would assume those DVD's are legit but I can't say for sure.

Why won't you at least attempt to use the Ebay DVD ? As long as you have that legit key it doesn't matter what DVD you use, it does have to be the same version of Windows that's on the COA though so you need to check that. I assume it's Win7 Home Premium ?

14. SteveBernstein

Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium is the operating system of the computer.
    I will definitely try the ebay disk I bought before buying the one on amazon. I'll let you know how it's works out. The ebay disk should arrive this coming Wednesday.

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, I thought you had the Ebay disk already !

Good luck with it and please do post back here and let me know how it goes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice