1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drivers Struggle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Supertecho, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Supertecho

Supertecho Thread Starter

A few days ago a friend of mine asked me for help with his laptop (Toshiba Satellite E105-S1402, using Windows Vista). After switching it on, it would stay forever with the "Please Wait" screen, then showed a black screen and the mouse pointer. Strangely, after Ctrl+Alt+Sup the normal options screen would come up, offering Task Manager, Shut Down, etc. I tried every trick on my book, every single one. Unfortunately my friend doesn't have a Bootable CD for Windows Vista, and for some reason after pressing F8 in order to do a System Restore using the Toshiba Recovery partition, the "Repair Option" was not available. After days of trying different things I ended up installing Windows 7 in the C: partition, formatting it first.
    This brought me some more issues to solve, including that the Touch pad mouse doesn't work, the back lit keyboard stopped working as well.
    My first thought was that it could be a Driver problem, so I tried updating it using the windows utility, which didn't work. I also tried a Toshiba recomended utility which scans your computer and offers to update all drivers, used it, still didn't work. This utility doesn't even mention the backlit keyboard, neither does the Toshiba support webpage.

At this point I would like to ask three questions:

Is there a way to restore this computer to factory settings now? How can I access the Toshiba System Volume (Recovery Partition)?

What can I do about the mouse?

How do I get the backlit keyboard to work? According to what I know, just pressing Fn Z should do the trick, but it doesnt... and it's not phisically broken, since it worked during the various restarts during Windows install.

I'd also like to apologize for the lenght of this post, it's my firstone and I'm not sure how this is done.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can order the DVD recovery media from Toshiba, that will properly restore the system with all the software and drivers it needs.

3. Supertecho

Thanks Triple6, do you think that would work even after installing Win 7?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Of course, the purpose of the recovery discs is to restore it to the original operating system, it doesn't care what O/S, if any, is on there now.

5. Supertecho

OK I'll do that... Sorry to keep bothering but there wouldn't be any other way at this point, would it..?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you already purchase this copy of Windows 7?

7. Supertecho

Not exactly...

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    What does not exactly mean?If you get recovery cds/dvds they have to be what the computer came with originally.If you want to put windows 7 in there instead it has to be a legal and legit copy with a valid COA sticker. You cant just download one because it wont activate.

9. Supertecho

On the Recovery CD: According to my friend, the computer didn't come with one and he didn't create one, I have not ordered it yet, since we do not live in the US despite the fact the laptop was purchased there.

Not exactly means I didn't purchase it, and it did activate.

Thanks Sue.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So if you didn't purchase it then do I assume its a pirated copy? If so then we can't help you or your friend beyond telling the both of you to do the correct thing and purchasing the correct recovery media for the laptop - it'll also fix the driver/software problems too.

11. Supertecho

Exactly what I suggested in the first place, but he's a bit unwilling to do so because he only uses that computer for IE, since there are a few webpages his Mac won't open. He purchased this computer in the US, however neither of us live there, which is a bit of a hassle when requesting the Recovery media from Toshiba... We'll see how we figure that one out. In the meantime, thanks for all your help and support. Apologies for the counterfeit copy, in some places outside the US it's a bit challenging to follow the right path, always. :)

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Right and wrong are universal.

In any case, since you openly admit its counterfeit we can no longer continue with this thread as per forum rules.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice