1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drives all cycle, won't get to windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fluffie, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluffie

fluffie Thread Starter

I have an Hp Pavilion 7966. Was gaming last night and it just shut down. Have not been having any prior problems with it at all.

Rebooted and was getting a black screen with a message about my primary drive. Opened case up and unplugged the hard drive, rebooted, shut it back down and replugged the hard drive.

Now when I turn it on the hard drive, 3.5" drive, cd and dvd drives all cycle and light up. The monitor blinks between a black screen and the HP logo screen. I can get to the Bios Setup Utility, but all appears normal and it shows primary master as my Maxtor hard drive.

I have checked for loose cables but other than that I am at a loss.

-Fluffie Bunnyslippers

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unfortantely the hard drive may have died. You could try Clearing the CMOS by using the Clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard or by pulling out the CMOS battery for several Minutes. Then restore the jumper or battery and boot up the PC. You will need to enter the BIOS and load the defaults as well as check to see that the hard drive is being recognised.

If that doesn't work try accessing the hard drive by installing it in another computer. If you have Windows XP on the drive then you will need to put it in a computer with Windows 2000 or XP to access the files on it.

You can also download diagnostics to test the drive from the manufacturer of the drive or use any Recovery CD's that came with the system to see if they can access the drive. Be warned that most Recovery CD's will destroy all the data on the hard drive with a single press of a key.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice