Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drives not detected in bios

996 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  vivienne 
#1 ·
Hi

I am trying to do a clean XP Pro install and cannot. I get a message that to prevent damage to my system, install has shut down. I tried to do a Norton Ghost backup and it does not recognize any hard drives to back up to. I looked in the bios and there is no information for my hdds. It is on auto detect and nothing gets filled out - like cylinders and stuff.

Please can someone help!

Thanks!

Vivienne

#2 ·
From the specs listed in your signature, you have two sata drives. Windows XP requires the sata drivers for an install - it doesn't come with native drivers. What you will need is your motherboard CDrom and find the sata drivers on that and put them onto a floppy. When you boot the winxp install CD it will say down the bottom "press F6 to install 3rd party scsi drivers" (or something similar) so press F6 and when prompted put in your floppy and it will find the drivers and you will then be able to install WinXP onto your hdd.

BIOS probably wont show your HDD's. It will/should in the boot sequence menu, but probably not anywhere else. Just follow the method above and you will be fine.

#3 ·
Hi Avvy

AvvY said:
From the specs listed in your signature, you have two sata drives. Windows XP requires the sata drivers for an install - it doesn't come with native drivers. What you will need is your motherboard CDrom and find the sata drivers on that and put them onto a floppy. When you boot the winxp install CD it will say down the bottom "press F6 to install 3rd party scsi drivers" (or something similar) so press F6 and when prompted put in your floppy and it will find the drivers and you will then be able to install WinXP onto your hdd..
I've done that and still cannot install XP or Ghost!!

Vivienne

#5 ·
Hi Avvy

Just to let you know that I do not have access to the computer right now and I will answer as soon as I do.

Thanks very much for your attention!

Vivienne

AvvY said:
What is the exact error you get, and how far into the install process do you get?

What state is the hdd your are installing on in? Is it blank, formatted, partitioned?
[This thread has been closed; new thread started here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=422733]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.