1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drives not visible in Win Explorer (win7 32 ult)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rickmamo, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

I am using an Asus M2n32sli-Deluxe Mobo, 2 Maxtor 40G IDE drives, 1 sata dvd on sata5, and one WD black 1TB sata drive on sata6.

I replaced my ide hard drives with a Sata drive to install win 7 32 ult on it as my primary active Main system drive (actually two partitions created by default via win7 install),... I then reconnected my two ide hard drives and re-enabled the IDE controller in BIOS.

BIOS Sees both drives properly and is set to auto on both. One of the drives is jumpered to master, the other is set to slave. Both 40G maxtor drives (and IDE controller) are listed in device manager and reported as working properly, Disk Management also shows both disks, I can re-partition, format and even move copy files via right-click/explore on the drive from within disk mgmt but "windows explorer" does not list the drives at all. I have tried various bios settings...i.e. enableing/disabling UDMA, DMA, and LBA to no avail. Both of these drives check out fine with error checking and were working in this PC before with no special configuration in bios...they've always been set to auto, Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

I also tried disabling simple file sharing and back to no avail and copied a txt file to each so they weren't completely empty and made sure explorer options are checked to show empty removable media

I suppose this will make for a very secure storage locations on this PC if I can only access them via disk mgmt r-click explore

Perplexing

3. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

I just tried uninstalling the IDE drives in devman and reinstalling...no change
    I can even share the drives out and create shortcuts to them which is my current work around
    later i will try removing ALL drives within devman (including main sata drive) and then rescan for hw changes to see if that works

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

One thing to try on the IDE drives. If you are using a 80-wire/40-pin wire, set both drives to cable-select. Put the one you want as the master at the end of the cable; put the slave in the middle. I can't remember which plug goes into the motherboard, but if you hold the cable up, you will see the two connectors at the ends and one near the middle. That middle one will be closer to one of the ends than the other. The two connectors that are closest to each other go to the drives. The one that is the furthest away from the center connector plugs into the motherboard.

5. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

I haven't had to use cable select method in decades but I suppose it's worth a try. Keep in mind both these drives with cable were working on this box back when it was win xp pro 64 on it, i have even replaced the jumper with another to make sure it wasn't the culprit. I'll update this thread later when I get a chance to try removing all drives in devman and try cable selct as well.

6. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

Cable select had no effect and removing ALL drives and rescanning had no effect either... I'm Clueless on this.

7. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

I Just set them up as a mirrored raid array and can again r-click explorer from disk mgmt..to access it but still not showing in mypc or windows explorer, i can also share the new array and make a shortcut to it on desktop which is my current lame work around

8. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

Still nothing, I guess I'll just disconnect them and live w/o them. Maybee attach them to a networked pc and access that way.

9. rickmamo

rickmamo Thread Starter

I disconnected one drive and attached it to a win xp pc it said it was a foriegn disk (was set as mirror drive and formatted by win7) and converted it and works..additionaly the other drive is showing in explorer now but i did of course have to reformat it and such.
    now that i have a TB drive this 40 gig is not really worth the slow down but At least i can attach it when i want to trans files to it now.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice