1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drives undetected?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by neofan3, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

DEll optiplex gx110, P3 733mhz, 512 RAM with 2 hard disks and 2 CDroms. Windows 2000 professional.

Can't start windows. All drives including cdroms are not detected/regconized. In BIOS, all drives are unknown. :confused:

2. kniht

kniht

If you have an IDE HDD the problem may be in the cables.

Try reseating the IDE cables (wide cables that plug into the CD-ROM and the HDD).

Try booting with the HDD connected to the end of the IDE cable. Reseat the IDE ribbon cable to the motherboard and make sure that the red line on the ribbon cable is plugged into the HDD nearest the power connector.

If it still doesn't work, then the MB may have a bad IDE1 connector. Try the IDE2 connector.

3. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

I don't understand well what you mean. The IDE ribbon in my computer is 80-wired and has 3 connecters, the blue one is connected to the MB, the grey one to the slave HDD, and the black one to the master HDD ( at the end ). So what are these IDE1 and IDE2?

Also I forgot to mention. I also heard a couple of noises( like low beeps ) during the windows screen then I saw black screen. :confused:

4. kniht

kniht

Not sure if this is the System Board (MB) you have but check out the attachment below.

#10 is the IDE1 connector

#11 is the IDE2 connector

Attached Files:

5. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

My motherboard is probably phoenix. I don't know which one is IDE1, Ide2 ... but I can see:

1. One 80-wired ribbon cable which is plugged into one connector on the MB and 2 HDD9 slave and master).

2. another 80-wired ribbon cable is plugged into a second connector on the MB and 2 cdroms.

3. a third one 40-wired cable is plugged into a third connector on MB and to floppy disk.

I am worried about the two beep sounds emitted by the computer towards the end of windows 2000 splash-screen. Because invariably the screen went black and everything stopped. On the black screen I saw " hit F1 ..., hit F2 to go to setup". But when I hit F1, I got the BIOS, hit F2 nothing happened. :confused:

Do you suggest I should switch connectors between cdroms and HDD?

6. JackDogg

JackDogg

hi mate,
    (shut down PC, remove power lead from wall)

1. remove all 4 drives from the 2 ide 80 wire CableSelect ribbon cables.

2. the hdd with Windows OS on it, preferably if it has a jumper setting of "CS" >>>> set it to that. If no "CS" set the jumper to "Single" (some HDDs vary on this especially WestDigital where the "Single" jumper setting is sometimes "no jumper" at all)

3. the motherboard connector - on the motherboard - that accepts your Primary ide cable should be coloured blue **. Connect the blue end of one of the cables into the blue connector. attach the jumpered Windows OS HDD to the END of that cable (black connector).

** if the 3 ide connectors on the motherboard are all black
    you can look real close up, and there *should be* markings on the board showing "ide1" next to a black connector. plug the cable - as in step 3 above - into that

4. boot up, go into BIOS, is the bootable HDD detected ??

7. kniht

kniht

Two short beeps usually indicates an error in BIOS.

Although they may differ depending on the system.

8. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

I set both jumpers to " CS" like Jackdogg suggested but I still got the same error. I believe that Kniht is right, the double short beeps at intervals is some kind of code emitted by the bios. I am not sure what it means but I followed the hint from what I read and switched position of the two RAM pieces( each 256mb ) but I still got the same double beeps. :confused:

9. kniht

kniht

10. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

Here is the pattern of the beeps: Many double beeps separated by long intervals ( could be more than a few minutes ) so I don't know how to interprete it.

Your link is useful. I think I should make a diagnositcs diskette to test.

11. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

1. When I connected the black connector of the ribbon cable to the second HDD alone, the BIOS was able to regconize the primary drive 0 and the cdrom 1. The error on the black screen was "primary drive 1 not found".

2. Since the cdrom was now available, I used Dell resources CD to run a quick diagnostics test on everything, the result showed no error.

Does this mean that the boot HDD is bad? :confused:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice