1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drives won't recognize DVDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chidis, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chidis

chidis Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm running XP on a 2 YO desktop. My two CD/DVD drives functioned perfectly until the other day. I've installed no new programs, but I think a Microsoft update happened at about this time.
    I tried the MS fix, deleting both upper and lower (i forgot the entire name) files in the registry. The I tried the MR FIXIT auto tool from Windows, no luck. I tried the solution I found on this forum here 525621-solved-dvd-cd-rom-drive.

I see both drives in explorer, and trouble shooter in device mgr says they both are functioning. But, they both indicate that they are empty even though there is a disk in both. One disk is blank and the other I tried is a commercial dvd. No luck with either.

TIA-
    Donna

2. biman7777

biman7777

I have the same problem with my Sony DVD RW AW 170a. When I insert a normal DVD it read it perfectly but when I insert a DVD-R it doesn't detect it.

3. chidis

chidis Thread Starter

I tried a CD in one of the two drives and now it says that it isn't functioning, and is inaccessable?

4. bigbear

bigbear

Try this fix, make sure you follow it exactly

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
    You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : fixcd.reg
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_xp]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf_XP]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr_xp]
    ------------------------------ Use text before this line -----------------------------

5. biman7777

biman7777

It didn't work. I loaded a DVD and it showed a message that Windows doesn't recognize it.

The DVD I loaded was written using Track At Once meaning Multi session was enabled and my DVD is not reading any multisession dvds.

Please help if you can

6. bigbear

bigbear

Does the drive read other discs ok?

7. biman7777

biman7777

Yes it reads all other CD and DVD perfectly ok. It reads mulisession CDs but not multisession DVDs.

8. chidis

chidis Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it out but neither drive reads any disks still.

9. bigbear

bigbear

You could try a system restore back to a time before the update or a repair of windows

10. bigbear

bigbear

biman7777
    I would be better if you started your own post otherwise the responses start to get confusing

11. chidis

chidis Thread Starter

I tried 2 different system restore points & that didn't work. Would uninstalling, disconnecting, and then reconnecting/installing them work?

Thanks

12. bigbear

bigbear

You could try uninstalling the drivers, reboot and see if windows sorts the problem.
    I had a similar problem with Win 7 the other day.
    I had just done a clean install and had everything running sweet when I noticed both the optical drives missing.
    I tried everything I know, hunted on the net nothing worked.
    I decided to do another clean install and now everything is OK,
    It niggles that I could not find the answer why

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice