1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DRM's within hardware too?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Viracocha711, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Viracocha711

Viracocha711 Guest Thread Starter

Is it true that if an HDTV or monitor(or anyhardware) that does not support this new DRM system then it will be blocked from using new HD technology or software covered in this DRM system?

Here is a piece of an article...Could those who know more about this please share your knowledge? What I am thinking may be wrong but it appears everyone will have to buy all new hardware from the prcessor to the monitor to use most of the new software and watch the new movies even if you bought the stuff legally?

"...entirely new system of DRM due to the media. At the core of the new system is Advanced Access Content System (AACS), a DRM standard founded by Disney, Warner Bros., Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, IBM, Intel and Microsoft. It's far-reaching, potentially affecting all manner of vendors in the content delivery chain (hardware and software media players, operating systems, graphics hardware, displays). It's also like CSS, except that it gives greater control to content producers to help enforce compliance among those vendors, and it's theoretically tougher to crack.8

As it relates to your PC, AACS (and HDCP, a similar technology covering output of HD to video screens9) is implemented through new systems like Vista's Windows Protected Video Path-Output Protection Management and PVP-User Accessible Bus.10 These technologies, for example, require hardware manufacturers to comply with content control regulations set in place by Windows Vista. Manufacturers of graphics cards will have to go along with this -- uncertified hardware won't function -- which requires a sizable and lengthy investment in technologies related to AACS/HDCP...

The entire article is posted here:

http://www.sysopt.com/features/stor...cle.php/3651876

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I deleted your duplicate post in the Vista forum, please do not post duplicate messages.

3. Viracocha711

So, I can not ask the same question in two different forum "topics" even though the question is relevant in both? I can understand repetitive posts in the same forum but some topics clearly cross over topics.
    BTW-Did the post you deleted have any replies?

I have donated $$ to this site after only using it for a few weeks because I have found this to be very helpful...However, this does not make any sense? I will follow the rules but is there any process in which I can lobby for a change? I know you understand my point and I know you have a job to do as a moderator, so any help with this would be very appreciated.

4. GripS

GripS

It's kinda scary isn't it? I have tested RC-2 and trust me there really isn't a whole lot to write home about. Stick with Windows XP and ride it out.

All this R&D spent on fighting a war that just can't be won is kind of pointless. More time should be spent figuring out how to make people *want* to pay.

5. Viracocha711

Yeah, well they will concentrate on how to get everyone to pay once everyone has bought all the hardware to use what the R&D has produced! Oh well, I am just as guilty as they are, if I would not buy all the new stuff then I guess I could ***** and moan more, huh?

...I kick myself for not raping them in the napster days before the lawsuits and stuff started being filed...Had I known that they were going to go this far I would have built a nice library free of charge rather than paying for everything and bitching at others for stealing...Of course, my friends were right, they would always say you going to be sorry for being honest and unfortuanately I am!

6. JohnWill

You can post in site suggestions, but I can tell you it's pretty certain to fall on deaf ears. The reason for the rule is because some people come in and carpet bomb the forums with the same thread 5-6 times. It dilutes the quality of any help you receive and confuses the issues. If you feel a post is in the wrong forum, you can report it with the red triangle above every post and a mod will move it.

7. Viracocha711

Yes, I got to thinking about it and I could only imagine how it could be abuse...Well, it was abused or there would not be a rule against it, huh?
    ...I wanted to thank you for your help the other day in regards to helping me better understand RAID configs.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

-AJ

8. Viracocha711

BTW- where did you find the kitty sniper animation? That is too funny!

9. JohnWill

Actually, I found the static display, and a member here nicely animated it for me. :)

10. Compiler

Compiler

Well.. I would say this post belong a bit more in VISTA than Hardware...

But yeah, this more about how to make M$ more money and control of people's computers... This has been happening since WindowsXP first hit the shelves with the ACTIVATION garbage.... seems like such a little thing.

But yes, M$ has complete control to SHUT DOWN every Windows PC in the world in seconds (as long as they are connected to the net) - read the EULA that nobody reads.

The DRM/HDCP/TCPA issue has been going on for years. It slows down our systems, gives control to a mega-corp of all your data etc. They call it "anti-piracy & security" - but it doesn't really do that. But nobody cared... It wasn't until the past 2 years that I had to finally install XP because Win98 drivers were barfing on new hardware and software requirements. (newer CPUs ran slower on Win98) - Give it about 2-3 years and most people WILL be on Vista... when you do your NEXT system upgrade - Vista would be required... but these ISSUES are already in XP.

Too bad Linux has yet (if ever) get a foot hold on the PC market. That is partially the Linux community fault (they are very techie - with little respect for the avg.joe.. but that is WHERE the money and control is at) Lindows is trying thou...

Also with all THIS HARDWARE control, it is DESIGNED TO MURDER LINUX... How? Because the HDCP standards that M$ was nice enough to setup for us, is by contract with M$ not allowed for Open Source (because it "opens the system to piracy" blah) - So mobos, video cards and even CPUs can cease to work in a NON M$ enviroment... wow, that's a lot of work to have HW/SW to spend its time being Big Brother. Guess who pays for it?

Now if you don't agree to activate these "security features" - M$-server controlled webservers and such will not work.

Personally, I think the Linux community needs to attack M$ now... perhaps by blocking ALL M$ browsers for access to web servers... which a majority of the internet is not stupid enough to use M$ for a server software. BTW, many governments in the world are NOT using M$ for their computers because THEY read the fine-print... What Govt. Entity would give the keys to their system to an American company? (But guess its okay for the USGovt. to sell the USA to foreign countries like the Dubai deal).

Use google to look up some key words: but check out this site - http://microsuck.com

Palladium (which became NGSCB)
    NGSCB
    TCPA (org) aka TCG = Trusted Computing Platform Alliance / Trusted Computing Group
    {For a "trusted" group - it sure seems to be changing its NAME quite a bit hmmm}
    Fritz Chip
    UCITA = This is LAW, not business licence.

Here is what CAN happen... Since you have agreed to the EULA (That big End User Licence Agreement that everyone CLICKS "OKAY" - Lawyers love this stuff) with WinXP - you have ALREADY agreed to allow M$ to install/add/modify/delete data or programs on YOUR computer with or without YOU knowlege. (And like Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, such announcements are hidden in the basement in cityhall).

Hence, they can DO things to your computer without telling you. For a "trustworthy" company - m$ sure hides your Temporary Internet files... in XP, you easily see whats in there with the program "Agent Ransack" (Free download). I use this because IE doesn't EVER clean out its cache. I set it to 10mb on all my clients PCs... but funny how it easily gets to 15~40mb... But typical END user has a 500mb~2GB of internet cache files - which actually slows things down a bit. You can tell it to EMPTY the chace, but naaa.

With IE7 (which I DONT RECOMMEND - get FireFox2) M$ hides the TempInternet folder even more so - gee, for a temp folder which contains the MOST JUNK on people's computers, why does M$ hide this from YOU!? it wasn't hidden in Win9x.

Win9x = C:\windows\Temporary Internet
    WinXP = C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    (Click on that folder - theres not much in there - but RIGHT CLICK and select PROPERTIES and see how HUGE it is - go to IE, empty it... recheck this folder size again)

With IE7, the location is the same - but hidden. Type it in manually.

Anyways... what can ALL this do?

Lets say a govt. or company wants to keep you from seeing something or having something. Such as saying something critical of a president or company, etc - well, your high-tech Vista could delete such documents from your computer... even while it IS OFF - as the NEW feature of Vista is to not ACTUALLY be off. You're also not allowed to write a bad review of product if you use open the package, before you read the EULA. You already see this on some M$ and non M$ software if you open the seal on the CD or package itself - you JUST agreed to everything inside.

Apple and Linux looking better?

I don't use Windows Media Player ( WMP 7~11) and since you cant really remove it, I'd block it with a firewall (never trust a M$ firewall). Back in the Win98/wmp7 days, you can fix the data file that WMP maintained to not store info (write protect the file) - With XP and above - anything you play, MP3, video, DVD, CD etc is recorded... guess who has access to such a file? You sure don't have easy access to it... why is it needed?

WinXP does have mplayer2.exe - the old mediaplayer6.4 from Win98. But a lot of people are using "Media Player Classic" - which is about 3mb (Compared to 25mb for WMP 11) Media Player Classic is the BEST player out there. It simply plays media files (I prefer WinAMP for CDs and MP3s), MPClassic is updated from 6.4 (which is under 1mb) its the EASIST to use compare to the NEW PRETTY ONES - its not bloated so it loads in a second rather than 10seconds. No ads, no junk... just A PLAYER... no DRM either.

Keep in mind - Vista offers no real productivity over XP.... some reviewers refer to the eyecandy as "Cool - for 30 mins" - but I wouldn't mind the AERO interface myself... But you see, the OS for computers don't really change much, and M$ can't make as much money for just an OS. Look at XP - its 6 years old. M$ & Apple used to sell OS versions every 6~9 months (MS DOS 7, AppleOS 2~10) but M$ business model is different from apple and Linux - where $30~120 gets you a FULL installable version.

In a few years, expect M$ to charge a yearly rate for OS Vista Activation Services. Rather than $100~$200 OS lasting you 4~6 years (they don't like that) you'll be paying $50~100 a year for "access to upgrades", imagine... paying for that. And if you don't - well, have fun trying to turn on your computer. Your log-in screen will only go to a M$ sales rep to take your credit card # to turn on your PC.

---

11. Compiler

Compiler

What is sad... is that Palm bought out BeOS - which was more advanced than XP (came out before XP) - and they boxed it up and use part of it to update their PALM PDAs...

They could have MADE some money selling it for $50... it was a great OS... based a bit off of UNIX/Amiga/Mac all rolled up in one (google image seach BeOS)

12. Viracocha711

Any truth to the rumor that Google may come out with an OS?

13. Compiler

Compiler

Er no... would be a waste of money & effort... and off subject dontcha think...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice