1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drop down menu formulas

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cia96734, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cia96734

cia96734 Thread Starter

[email protected]

Aloha,

I'm putting together an order form for my site and I'm stuck on how to send the customers choice of 1, 2, or 3, from a drop down box, with each number representing a different dollor amount. I need that choice to show up in the Total Column to the right. In other words... Say a customer picks number 2 which is equal to $60.00. I need the $60 to show automatically in the Total column.

I have search high and low and cannot find any instructions that shows how this is done. Is the drop down menu designed so customers can choose which item they want and that item has a dollar amount that you can send to another cell. ??????

Ed

2. maxflia10

maxflia10

What you can do is....construct a two column table. In the first column, enter your numbers and in the adjacent column, the corresponding amount. Highlight the two column table, go to the Name window located right above cell A1 and name your table and press Enter. Click in cell A1 (or whatever cell you want the drop down menu to appear) and go to Data/Validation/in the Allow window, select List and in the Source window enter,

=INDEX(List,0,1) "List" being whatever you named your table.

In B1 enter,

=VLOOKUP(List,2,0)

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    The MyVlookup and MyInvoicing may help you.

:)

(Gorgeous flowers, Max. Thanks again!!)

4. cia96734

cia96734 Thread Starter

Aloha Maxflia 10,

Thank you for responding, couldn't do anything over the weekend as you know. You came up with some interesting formulas / calculations and this is what I really need to find. I can probably do this myself if I had a good step by step manual or book, can you recommend one that really gets into formulas and calculations?

By the way I forgot to mention that I'm creating this form in Word not in Excell and I'm very tight on space. Here is what it looks like to give you better idea of what I'm trying do.

Again thanks for responding, look forward to hearing from you, hope you have a good manual for me to get.
    I'll go over your suggestions very carefully to see what I can do with it.

Ed Medeiros [email protected]

Attached Files:

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    cia96734:

I'm the "Word Queen" and I say...move it to Excel.
    You need too many calculations to be using Word. Is there some reason you don't want to use Excel? I can put this thing in an Excel file, probably within an hour or so. If you want that, send your logo and pricing worksheets: [email protected]

Don't worry. It'll be one page.

6. cia96734

cia96734 Thread Starter

Aloha Anne,

I have to admit I have frustrated myself to death with this order form and
    need to get it done.

Please let me know what you would charge and I'll gather my pricing info.
    together and have it for you in a day or so.

Thanks for helping.

Ed Medeiros

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I won't charge, Ed. :)
    But I can certainly start on it now knowing you're interested.
    If you love it, you can click the donation thingee in my signature.

If you can let me know now...will you be:

--emailing it?
    --allowing it to be downloaded from the web?
    --do you want people to be able to see the pricing info tables or not? (allowing them to see them is much easier)

Don't do anything fancy to the files before sending. Matter of fact, you can fill the pricing in later, now that I think about it. I'm assuming you do not need to KEEP records of the pricing info...that'd be a different story for another time.

8. cia96734

cia96734 Thread Starter

Hi,

Everything looks great and I'm very impressed with this service and would like you to continue with it and save my sanity.

And you look simply marvelous.

I'm going to call whats the best time?

Ed

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hee hee. See here, Ed: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=1553460#post1553460

This *service* doesn't really provide this kind of work; I'm doing it 'cause I'm bored. But...if we could have eventually broken your problems down, you could have gotten just as far. :)

I need to add your prices to the middle part of the page and get some other info from you. Will it be okay for me to load up the final here? That way, others can see what we did, and why we moved it to Excel. We can make it *generic* first.

10. cia96734

cia96734 Thread Starter

Sure go ahead, by the way the order form and headlines and captions will be e-mailed to me at [email protected] if that helps.

Ed

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Where's your web, Ed? We should talk about that via email, probably... :)

12. cia96734

cia96734 Thread Starter

Anne,

This site isn't up yet.

Ed

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice