1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drop-down menus blocked by pop-up blocker

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dentltek, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dentltek

dentltek Thread Starter

I can't figure this one out...it only happens when I'm using IE, not Firefox (I know, the solution to my problem would be to not use IE, but it still bugs me that I can't figure out what's going on...). The problem is only with my home computer (IE7, Win XP Pro) not my computer at work or anywhere else, and they are all set up the same...

When I come to a web page that has a drop-down menu (as an example, go to the FAQ page, the kind of menu under "Matching Options" and "Search In"...) the menu gets blocked as a pop-up, with the pop-up alert bar at the top of the page. Before instructing me on how to "disable" the IE pop-up blocker, this happens whether the pop-up blocker is enabled or not. If I click on the pop-up information bar, one of the options is to "Turn ON pop-up blocker" if it is off, or "Turn OFF pop-up blocker" if it is on, either way it still blocks the menu from dropping down.

I have tried adding the sites to my allowed sites list. I have tried resetting IE settings. I have tried searching online for other people with the same problem, but all I get is an endless list of sites explaining how to disable the IE pop-up blocker.

Any suggestions??

Kevin

2. techychick

techychick

The instructions here may help

3. dentltek

dentltek Thread Starter

Thanks Techychick, that was the first thing I tried but it does nothing. When I found that "fix" earlier a couple of things occurred to me: 1) if I was experiencing a normal security feature with IE7, everyone else would be having the same problem; 2) I should not have to disable the pop-up block feature, meaning I am now allowing all popups, just to get the drop-downs to work, and i should not have to go through all that,and then restart IE just to get it to work correctly; and 3) all of my other computers, and I bet yours as well, allow the drop-down menus to function without having to add that particular site to the allowed site list.

I'm thinking it has something to do with how my IE is processing the html or java scripts, but i know nothing about all that, or about why this particular computer would do this and my others don't.

Any more ideas??

4. techychick

techychick

Has IE7 always had this behavior? And yes, you are right in that I don't have the same issue nor have I ever.
    Have your tried resetting all of the security options to default, and/or a reset of IE settings?

Possibly a reinstall of IE may be a solution....

5. dentltek

dentltek Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried resetting everything to default, still nothing.

But here's something that makes me want to just give up on figuring it out anyways: I just installed the Avant browser, I had read some good things about it. I also heard that the structure of the program is based on IE. The first thing I did after installing was go to a page with a drop down menu and... it is doing the same thing IE does, same pop-up info bar at the top of the window, blocks drop-downs whether pop-up blocker is on or off, etc.

Like I said, I use Firefox on a regular basis anyways so this is not a big deal if I never figure it out, I just don't like not being able to fix something :)

6. techychick

techychick

Completely understand, I'm the same =)

But, as I stated before an uninstall/reinstall of IE may fix this annoyance, nothing to lose anyway

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice