1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drop-outs in cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jaglover, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaglover

jaglover Thread Starter

For the last three months I experience frequent dropouts in my connection to the internet through a cable modem.
    Everything seems normal on the cable modem's status lamps.
    I am running Windows2k pro, with two network cards in the PC. One for connecting the cable modem and one for connecting (through a 10M hub) to a second PC.
    The drop outs occur on the first PC and randomly during the day.

I am using NetMedic to monitor the connection and this reports local routers status performance problems and also level3.net (the link between the internet routers) DNS status performance problem.

Is there another utility available so that I can monitor the connection in greater detail. Is it possible to check if my PC (Win2k) drops the connection?

TIA, Jaglover

2. tahcamen

tahcamen

Don't know about another utility to monitor your connection but im having the same problem. I can only reconnect if i reboot or repair the lan connection (Under control panel - network connections)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

tahcamen, PLEASE start your own thread on your problem!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

jaglover, if you only experience the dropouts on one machine, and the other functions normally, I'd start looking at what's installed on that machine. A spyware/malware scan with HijackThis might be in order too, perhaps you've picked up something nasty on this machine.

BTW, I like the name! I have a 1986 XJ-6 that I bought new, has about 35,000 miles on it, and still looks new. :D

5. tahcamen

tahcamen

Sigh... you know what johnwill, I posted on other posts because they're having the same problem i'm having and i was hoping to get some info about how to fix the same problem. From now on i'll make certain not to post on anyone elses prblm k? :D Kthxby

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice