Dropbox issue on Windows 10

Dwight1955

I have Windows 10 PS on my laptop and one of the cloud storage options I use is Dropbox.
I have noticed that when I copy a file from my desktop on my hard drive to a dropbox shortcut (also on my desktop), the file on my hard drive is deleted. The same thing happens if I copy an updated file to Dropbox and select the replace option. You can search for the details of my issue on the Dropbox forum by searching for "Files DO in FACT get deleted in a certain situation that may fool you" .
This seems to me to be something anyone might do, and then if they don't notice that the local file was deleted, when they do file cleanup on Dropbox at a later date (say, to free up space), they could end up missing data - and never know why.
Am I being unrealistic in considering this to be a problem that needs to either be fixed, or at least let the Dropbox community know about it?

"Unrealistic?", No, I don't think so. If it is in fact a problem with their software I'm sure they would like to know so they can resolve the issue before any lawsuits begin.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Real good reason for not using the Cloud for anything.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then I would say that you have a different setting on the laptop than you have on machine with issues?

Dwight1955

The Dropbox rep didn't see a problem. I use the Dropbox app in Windows 10, and deleting files in Dropbox doesn't delete them on my laptop.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dro...d-in-a-certain-situation-that-may/td-p/437482
The "Dropbox rep" didn't respect what I said enough to do cursory testing. He would HAVE TO see the problem if he followed my simple instructions. You apparently did the same since, from what you just said, it is obvious that you misunderstood my explanation of the problem. Slow down and do the same thing I did (many times) to prove it to yourself and then care enough to do a retraction,

Dwight1955

I have Windows 10 PS on my laptop and one of the cloud storage options I use is Dropbox.
I have noticed that when I copy a file from my desktop on my hard drive to a dropbox shortcut (also on my desktop), the file on my hard drive is deleted. The same thing happens if I copy an updated file to Dropbox and select the replace option. You can search for the details of my issue on the Dropbox forum by searching for "Files DO in FACT get deleted in a certain situation that may fool you" .
This seems to me to be something anyone might do, and then if they don't notice that the local file was deleted, when they do file cleanup on Dropbox at a later date (say, to free up space), they could end up missing data - and never know why.
Am I being unrealistic in considering this to be a problem that needs to either be fixed, or at least let the Dropbox community know about it?

Would SOMEONE PLEASE take one minute of their time to test this so others will know that it is not just me or my PC?
1. Create a text file on your desktop (10 seconds)
2. Create a shortcut to Dropbox on your desktop (10 seconds)
3. Copy the text file you just created and paste it to the Dropbox shortcut. (10 seconds)
Surely someone is willing to invest this much time to confirm this issue.

Dwight1955

Another thing to consider is that this happens with Dropbox Only - not other cloud storage proudcts. This screams the fact that it is NOT a Windows problem.

Worked okay for me here. My "new file.txt" is both on my Desktop and in my online Dropbox folder.

When you originally installed Dropbox, which of the following twi options did you select?:

If the latter, that might explain why your files are being stored on Dropbox only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts